Menu

French Readers

toawh

I'm looking for some french readers. To teach English reading I used the houghton Mifflin readers, Bells, Drums, Trumpets, etc.. I want something similar in French with some sight words and building on phonics. Is there anyone here who is French and knows what is used in France? My husband doesn't like the Canadian french books I've bought very much. His relatives sent us some phonics readers, but they aren't in story format just words and a few short sentences. Ds needs more review than this.

Does the student you are needing them for already read English?

If so you don't need to re-teach phonics from the get go. The phonics for English and French are so close every student I know of who could read well in one language, and talk and understand both well had no trouble figuring out how to read the other language.

He reads fluently in English. It's not that he doesn't get the french grammar it's just that he really needs the repetition of common words that readers will bring. He's five if that makes any difference. I thought maybe to call the french immersion schools here and ask what they use, but I don't know if they'll tell me.

We currently have checked out from the library about one hundred readers in french. One batch is about Clifford the Big Red Dog. The other is about Scooby Doo.

My husband is reading these out loud to my boys. Because they need the repetition to learn french. :p

The whole Quebecois vs. French can be annoying. My in laws live in Quebec, and my husband grew up in Quebec. So we personally aren't bothered by Quebecois vs. French. My dh just sometimes points out when something is not proper. :p Quebecois.

So far I have J'appredes A Lire with Sami and Julie . I've also gotten random readers from the library like Cliffords and stuff, but these don't build on each other. I'm looking for something that adds words as it goes along, and reviews the words it's already covered like the Bells series.