Menu

BJU HS Math users

How do you weight the grades? I can't find any recommendation in the textbook. I'm not sure how much weight to put on the quizzes or tests. I know most school teachers have part of the grade coming from daily work or participation. I wish the quizzes were a little longer. If you miss one of six, you make an 83, but if you miss one of ten, you make a 90.

Thanks for sharing how you do it.

We are using their Algebra this year. I did not buy the test pack this year, instead I am making my own test. I have used their tests and quizzes in the past though. For the quizzes and tests I give give partial credit if they show work and the work was set up correctly. To me this is half of the solution. For tests I give points depending on how much work was needed. Simple problems get 1 pt, problems that need work get 2 points.

We are using their Algebra this year. I did not buy the test pack this year, instead I am making my own test. I have used their tests and quizzes in the past though. For the quizzes and tests I give give partial credit if they show work and the work was set up correctly. To me this is half of the solution. For tests I give points depending on how much work was needed. Simple problems get 1 pt, problems that need work get 2 points.

Algebra 1 is what we are using, too. I think those ideas are really good. I had not even thought about giving various weight to problems on the tests.

When you did your final averages, what percentage were the quizzes and tests of the final grade?

Algebra 1 is what we are using, too. I think those ideas are really good. I had not even thought about giving various weight to problems on the tests.

When you did your final averages, what percentage were the quizzes and tests of the final grade?

We are using the DVDs with Algebra this year. The teacher recommends tests as 50%, homework as 30% and quizzes as 20%.

Thanks. Is the homework grade based on grading it or completing it? If it's completing it, that will be an automatic 100 because she's required to complete it.

I don't grade homework. It is for learning purposes only. If I was to offer a grade it would be if they did the homework or not and if they corrected anything they got wrong. So a pass/fail type of thing. So for my son it would be an automatic 100% since I would make sure this gets done and done correctly even if it takes a few tries.

From what I remember from the test pack, there are several quizzes per chapter. I would average the quizzes for the chapter and take that as a test grade.

Thanks. Is the homework grade based on grading it or completing it? If it's completing it, that will be an automatic 100 because she's required to complete it.

The DVD teacher does a homework check occasionally. It's a Homesat class, so she has the kids that are connected to the class input their answers for specific problems from their homework. This is probably done 3-4 times per chapter. I just have DS circle them, then I check to make sure they're right and give him a grade based on that.