Menu

How do your students read a book?

As I begin Gilgamesh (after taking notes on the Teaching Company Western Literature Epic of Gilgamesh lecture) I wonder if I should take notes while reading it.

Do you just have your student summarize each paragraph, outline each paragraph, summarize each chapter, write down interesting things? What exactly does taking notes from a book look like?

If this is the very first time you are attempting to annotate, try this process.

As you read if a question pops into your mind or a strong impression, scribble it in the margins.

Take a post it pad (not a big empty piece of paper), after you read one of the sections of Gilgamesh write down the one thing that stood out to you most on your post it. Place that in your book and move on.

Put a question mark next to any passage you find yourself hung up on or not sure about.

When you finish, pretend you had to tell someone in 3 mins or less what the story is about and why they would want to read it or not want to and be able to do this with some specfic examples.

If you can manage those things, you are beginning to read "closely" and with time you will learn to fill in those margins with key words and phrases geared toward making an analysis.

This is all assuming this is your first time trying to tackle this.

If this is the very first time you are attempting to annotate, try this process.

As you read if a question pops into your mind or a strong impression, scribble it in the margins.

Take a post it pad (not a big empty piece of paper), after you read one of the sections of Gilgamesh write down the one thing that stood out to you most on your post it. Place that in your book and move on.

Put a question mark next to any passage you find yourself hung up on or not sure about.

When you finish, pretend you had to tell someone in 3 mins or less what the story is about and why they would want to read it or not want to and be able to do this with some specfic examples.

If you can manage those things, you are beginning to read "closely" and with time you will learn to fill in those margins with key words and phrases geared toward making an analysis.

This is all assuming this is your first time trying to tackle this.

I don't have a book, I'm using an online version.

I've annotated before, in 9th grade. We weren't really taught though. It was mostly writing down words we didn't understand, things we thought might contribute to themes or the plot later on, quotes that struck us, and character analysis.

I would have you either print or copy to word and use the features available there to annotate a bit (highlighter, colored text notes...).

The things you learned to spot earlier still apply.

If you listened to the lecture, you are already a bit ahead of the game and will recognize connections between it and what you read.

Gigamesh will offer you opportunities to ask yourself all sorts of questions:

What is/was a hero?

What elements of the epic are demonstrated by Gilgamesh?

This is a story that was told for perhaps centuries before it was recorded (written)-what makes this a story to be "told"

How does Gilgamesh as a story demonstrate the way literature can be a reflection of a culture as well as a means to impart values to a culture?

Did Gilgamesh achieve his quest?

What/Who is Enkidu and how does he operate to help the reader/listener better understand the story?

Any strong symbols?

This list could go on and on, but those are a few thoughts to chew on while you read.

Do you just have your student summarize each paragraph, outline each paragraph, summarize each chapter, write down interesting things? What exactly does taking notes from a book look like?

Absolutely NOT for poetry!

I have my children take notes on the secondary reading: the textbook, any works they read about the literary work.

But I do not have them take notes while reading a poetic work such as Gilgamesh or Homeric epics or Beowulf for the first time. IMO, that would kill all enjoyment. I want them to be immersed in the poetry, to live with the rhythm and to enjoy the sound. I want them to read out loud some passages because they sound so wonderful.

I do not see any benefit in summarizing or outlining poetic works.

When DD has interesting thoughts while reading, she jots them down in a notebook or on a piece of paper. When she comes across a passage she finds particularly striking, she marks it with a sticky note.

Before she writes an essay, she will go back, re-read parts, skim others, mark quotes, write down material. But never on the first reading.

I can see a benefit in taking notes on works about philosophy or science - more the non-fiction kind of book.

Edited by regentrude

Absolutely NOT for poetry!

I have my children take notes on the secondary reading: the textbook, any works they read about the literary work.

But I do not have them take notes while reading a poetic work such as Gilgamesh or Homeric epics or Beowulf for the first time. IMO, that would kill all enjoyment. I want them to be immersed in the poetry, to live with the rhythm and to enjoy the sound. I want them to read out loud some passages because they sound so wonderful.

I do not see any benefit in summarizing or outlining poetic works.

When DD has interesting thoughts while reading, she jots them down in a notebook or on a piece of paper. When she comes across a passage she finds particularly striking, she marks it with a sticky note.

Before she writes an essay, she will go back, re-read parts, skim others, mark quotes, write down material. But never on the first reading.

I can see a benefit in taking notes on works about philosophy or science - more the non-fiction kind of book.

This is what I was thinking, I just wasn't sure if it was the norm to skip notes on epic poems. I've never read one before, so it's new territory.

This is what I was thinking, I just wasn't sure if it was the norm to skip notes on epic poems. I've never read one before, so it's new territory.

I don't know what the "norm" is, but I am perfectly happy to disregard these kinds of rules.

I just talked to my DD and asked her what she thought (she has read Homeric epics, Beowulf and is now reading the Divine Comedy and loves epic poetry). She immediately said that this would make it impossible to immerse in this other world and to thoroughly enjoy the language. Not on the first reading, at least.

There will most likely be people who will advise to annotate absolutely everything. You need to find out what works for you and from what approach you gain the most.

Anytime I read something for the first or 3rd time, I read with a pencil and some sticky notes or sticky tabs. I mark passages I really like with a star or underline, write thoughts and ideas of meaning in the margins if the passage is more complex and put sticky tabs on things I want to look at again.

If I was going to be writing a paper or essay, I would go back to the tabs and markings after I finished the first read and look at them a second time. Once I decided on a theme for the paper, I would go back and take more detailed notes on cards.

You need that first read with no pressure to find all the information for a paper. You need to "know" the story before you study the work. Read it, enjoy it, but keep a pencil and paper nearby to you can make notes if something jumps out at you.