Menu

Help me with my 2nd grader in math!

4maybabies

While doing math today, I was having my dd7 count by 5's to 100. She can do that no problem and flies through it. Then she was given a number like 260, and was supposed to count by 5's from 260 on. :confused: Whoa...talk about the glazed over look. We spent quite some time on it...took a break...and she is just not seeing it. This happens every time we put a number in the hundreds place, she just shuts down completely.

So, I'm guessing we should be working on place value?? I'm so new at all of this and am just as confused teaching it as she is learning it:tongue_smilie:

Thanks!

Her knowledge of place value is important, and it helps for them to understand that ultimately when counting by 5's the hundreds place is completely irrelevant (until of course they reach 95...). I am working on this concept with my 2nd grade daughter and counting by 10's. Example: what is 10 more than 24? She started catching on when told that the ones place does not matter at all when skip counting ahead by 10's. It just stays the same all the time. A discussion about this with the hundreds place would be important, but of course your daughter would have to have a handle on the place values, first. :) That seems pretty basic, but it is what I do with mine. Also, a number chart from 100-200, or 200-300 would help her to see the concept visually.