Menu

How young is too young?

Ds12 is a gifted classical guitarist.

In a couple months, we will be traveling to a city where one of the best conservatories in the guitar is located. We are traveling there bc ds's teacher teaches there, and it is just for scheduling convenience. We will likely end up in this city once a year or so for similiar reasons. It is about a 6 hr drive from home.

So, ds could feasibly consider attending this school or comparable in 4 years, or possibly sooner, when he is 16, or possibly younger. That would mean auditioning in 3 years for admission at 16.

I don't wish for him to leave home prior to 18, but if he stays passionate about guitar, it might be inevitable to go sooner. As it is, we travel a lot for lessons, etc.

Anyway, question is. Do I call the conservatory to arrange a visit while we are there? Or wait until next time? Would it be inspiring or plain scary?

Any thoughts?

I would arrange a visit to the conservatory while you are there - if you have the time in your schedule.

None of my kids are gifted musicians - but I was...and visiting conservatories early really focused my goals and my practicing. I went to summer conservatory in the summers before was to go to high school at a conservatory - and loved it.

For me - it was inspiring!

My parents took me to Interlocken at age 10 - I was hooked and knew exactly what I needed to do if I wanted to get there.

I would arrange a visit to the conservatory while you are there - if you have the time in your schedule.

None of my kids are gifted musicians - but I was...and visiting conservatories early really focused my goals and my practicing. I went to summer conservatory in the summers before was to go to high school at a conservatory - and loved it.

My parents took me to Interlocken at age 10 - I was hooked and knew exactly what I needed to do if I wanted to get there.

:iagree:

If you can afford it, I recommend Interlochen for a few summers before considering going away from home for a longer period. I'm a classical pianist and can say that it was wonderful preparation and the counselors kept tight track of us. We had some fun, but it was a focused camp with high standards and pretty rare for anything to happen to the kids.

After a couple of summers of camp, you can then evaluate his maturity level for matriculating to conservatory early.

Interlochen, MI. - If you get out a map, it is in the lower peninsula on the west side (Lake Michigan) just south of Sleeping Bear Dunes National Seashore and near Traverse Bay. It's a little town, but it is literally a hop-skip-jump from Traverse which has a good quality hospital and an excellent EMS. The camp is next to Interlochen State Park and the park rangers also keep tabs on the kids. They have a camp R.N. and a paramedic/e.m.t. duo assigned to the camp. Security is tight because kids come from all over the world and it is not uncommon for some senator, representative, ambassador, prominant foreign dignitary etc. to have a child enrolled there. Thus, the big law enforcement presence. It is world reknowned and first class!

I'm not certain what tuition is.

Faith

Oh, thank you all for the feedback. This is exactly the question I needed answered. I will call to schedule a visit, and I can easily make our schedule allow it so long as they are able/willing to allow us to tour.

Thanks again for listening, and for your wise counsel.

Edited by StephanieZ