Menu

A question for TOG users

Jujudalu

Hello

I am wondering how much of the value of TOG is lost if you change some of the books for others for whatever reason. I have read a lot about people teaching to the threads. How well does that work and how much is lost in changing some of the book selections? I would be changing out some of the books which are more specific to the authors' religious beliefs. I am not looking to secularize the curriculum but rather to make it more compatible with my family's beliefs.

Thanks in advance

Julia

This won't fully answer your question and depends, IMO, on what level your child is, LG, UG, etc. For my LG children, I have come to the conclusion that I have A LOT of history resources in my home that would work just fine instead of some of the key books they have listed. The books, for us, that seem to be the ones I just don't want to miss are the literature books since the literature worksheets are based on those.

An example for us is that even though my boys are LG, one of the secondary resources (the ones that are more optional) for UG that they recommend is SOTW. My kids get so much more out of that resource than some of the main books that they offer at the LG level.

Hello

I am wondering how much of the value of TOG is lost if you change some of the books for others for whatever reason. I have read a lot about people teaching to the threads. How well does that work and how much is lost in changing some of the book selections? I would be changing out some of the books which are more specific to the authors' religious beliefs. I am not looking to secularize the curriculum but rather to make it more compatible with my family's beliefs.

Thanks in advance

Julia

I change books a lot. I feel like TOG is a jumping off point. They have already gathered so much information and put it together in a format that makes it easy for me to use. If I want to change books out, I am not going to lose much, because I am still using so many parts of the curriculum.

If you are doing the LG/UG levels, you won't necessarily be able to use the Student Activity pages, because they are specific to the TOG book. If you have a D student, you may have to adjust the discussion/accountability questions so that they match the book that you have chosen. It is not terribly hard once you get into it.