Menu

math - if you could choose for a school

If you could choose a math program for a public alternative middle school for prealgebra through geometry (and possibly beyond, for the rather rare student), what would it be? The school in question has already chosen but I am going to tell them what I think anyway, LOL, and I'd like to have some alternatives to offer. I'm hoping to get an email out today.

I don't think vintage texts are ideal (probably in the range of 30+ copies will be needed). They are hoping to open next fall, and are still awaiting the final command to go forward, so I don't think they've bought anything more than sample copies at this point. New would be better.

They chose an integrated series, which would not be my first choice, because kids will have to leave this school after 8th grade, and they are shooting for algebra in 8th as a minimum for all (they will not be hard and fast on it, but it's a goal). Nonetheless, if integrated is the way they want to go, I'd probably suggest Singapore's DM (though I still seriously question whether that makes sense).

I can't imagine AoPS would work (too challenging), though the school is aiming for conceptual and you can't get more conceptual than that (if anyone thinks it could work, please say so). What else is in print that's very conceptual? Foerster for algebra?

For prealgebra they have Prentice Hall, though the text looked annoyingly colorful, etc. I thought I had every prealgebra under the sun, but most of them are older.

I doubt we'll take advantage of this situation unless I was happier about the math, but hey, it can't hurt to try, right? They're requiring all to study Latin as well, but even there I think they have some curriculum issues, and I'm not going to keep my big mouth shut, LOL. If ever I could have influence on this project, now would be the time.

Oh, and Saxon is out of the question.

Edited by wapiti

May I ask' date=' what is conceptual mathematics? I understand how that's needed in elementary school, but middle school? I would think that by then they just need to learn how to do the math and start applying it all. Am I wrong?

No suggestions as our favorite is out of the question. :lol:[/quote']

Here's an example from precalc. The (computational) book my brother used said "Here are the rules of logarithms. Memorize them." The conceptual book I used spent quite a bit of time showing how they were the same rules as the exponent rules, so that it would make sense why the rules worked and make it easier to remember them.

Here's an example from algebra. The book that I used taught completing the square (using several methods of explanation), practiced it quite a bit, then explained how to complete the square with a general polynomial, and voila, quadratic formula. The book he used presented the quadratic formula first, along the lines of "Here is a formula that will give you the answers to quadratic equations. It would be a good idea to memorize it."

Is it a good idea to memorize these things? Of course it is. But it's also (for me, personally) a good idea to understand a) that there are reasons why the rules exist -- they were not just made up to torture math students, b) what the rules came from and why, so that if during an exam I forget a formula I can derive it from something else. I used to forget the quadratic formula all the time -- eventually after about the 20th derivation it stuck in my head.