Menu

Mad Science

We LOVED our Mad Science exposure. We are big science people in our house. Our first mad science was when our oldest was 5. We loved them and did all we could with them for 4 years. Now we know most of the experiments and scripts. The people that we saw do the program were well educated on what they were sharing, dynamic, fun and good with the children.

We knew we were hooked when DS wanted a Mad Science birthday party and we found a way to make it work.

I would jump at the opportunity!

Interesting. I thought it was pretty so-so. I'm sure it depends on who owns the franchise and how they run it. Here, we have 2 kinds (roughly) of afterschool classes and camps. Mad Science, like some other drama and art outfits, are kind of a franchise. They have a formula and they have big classes. The teachers are all over the map. We definitely did it, but in hindsight it paled in comparison to the other type -- local, run by someone as more of a labor of love, often retired teachers or moonlighting artists. Those have been really good and usually have lower student-teacher ratios and high level teaching.

My daughter has done two of the Homeschool classes. They've been small, well run, and the lady who teaches them absolutely loves what she's doing, is enthusiastic about science, and shows it. I don't think the curriculum is the greatest-it seems heavy on "Flash and cool looking stuff" as opposed to actual, in depth-science, but it's been a fun supplement (and the fact that it's across the street from Panera, so moms can hang out, drink coffee, eat baked goodies, and talk is a MAJOR plus :) ).

The single shot workshops have been more hit and miss here, probably because they tend to have a LOT of kids, vs the 5-6 that she's had in the homeschool classes.