Menu

a good version of the King Arthur story?

Thanks! We are planning on reading Howard Pyle's The Merry Adventures of Robin HOod this summer. We've read a few chapters and stopped before, but my boys did enjoy the first few chapters. (I had to stop every so often and explain a bit of text but the fight between Robin and Little John was pretty fun for them and I heard arguements over who would be Robin and who would be Little John from the backyard.)

I prefer something kind of challenging, as I'm using it as a read alout. Currently I'm considering a version I found retold by Andrew Lang. I prefer older texts in the public domain.

Here's one free online version from Bulfinch's Age of Chivalry; I haven't read it yet but recently bought the book for next year.

Another version that I'm planning on using next year is The Story of King Arthur and Other Celtic Heroes by Padraic Colum. I like Colum's writing style, though I don't know how it compares with Lang's or Bulfinch's.

HTH!

I prefer something kind of challenging, as I'm using it as a read alout. Currently I'm considering a version I found retold by Andrew Lang. I prefer older texts in the public domain.

Is it for any particular age group or for yourself? It sounds like it is for your children. I recommend Rosemary Sutcliff's three books:

The Sword and the Circle

The Light Beyond the Forest

The Road to Camlann

I imagine they are all available at your library. My oldest (13) says they are the best versions of the Arthur stories she has ever read. I enjoyed them too.

Is it for any particular age group or for yourself? It sounds like it is for your children. I recommend Rosemary Sutcliff's three books:

The Sword and the Circle

The Light Beyond the Forest

The Road to Camlann

:iagree: We just finished these. I even learned a new word... grailloched (more commonly gralloched, meaning eviscerated, as in a deer).

You didn't state the ages of your children, so it's a shot in the dark, so to speak. My first impulse is to answer: "The Sword In The Stone" by T.H. White. We're not talking disney here. It was funny, well-written and memorable. The author is also a co-author of Strunk & White's "Elements of Style". My older son independently read a two-book edition titled "The Once and Future King" (which includes The Sword in the Stone)". Anyway, my kids adored this book.

best intentions,

Geo

My absolute favourite is The Crystal Cave by Mary Stewart, but its definitely an interpretation, and its modern..from Merlin's perspective. Great book though.

I am going to try Sword in the Stone soon with my oldest, but I think I will probably have my younger read The Crystal Cave instead - I think it will appeal to him. I had to read it in highschool, and I loved it with a passion.

Sounds like the Pyle version might be what you are looking for, though. I read it aloud to my two 3 years ago- they were ages about 10 and 11 or so, and it was just right for them while being challenging.

My absolute favourite is The Crystal Cave by Mary Stewart, but its definitely an interpretation, and its modern..from Merlin's perspective. Great book though.
Your kids might like T.A. Barron's and Kevin Crossley-Holland's Arthur books (sorry title's are escaping me at the moment, but the Crossley-Holland is a trilogy).

Sorry, I always forget to put the ages! My boys are six (turning seven in October! Yikes! HOw did that happen?) and nine.

I read The ONce and Future King in high school and I really enjoyed it. I think when the boys are in high school or middle school I will require them to read it, too. (I also plan on requiring The Mists of Avalon in high school. I love that one, too. Definately not for small children, though!)

I like Padraic Colum, we started a version of the Odessey by him and ended up dropping it because I thought the boys weren't into it but they've been asking about it so maybe I'll bring it back at some point.

Jo