Menu

MathType

Dh just started using Microsoft Word to type problems for his geometry students. I found advice on use at The Math Forum @Drexel (we were having trouble making the line arrow directly over letters). People are using Word, Math Type and Equation Editor, so you may find some opinions/comparisons on that site. Here's the link:

http://mathforum.org/kb/thread.jspa?threadID=970902&tstart=285

I have MathType. It is not that significantly different than Equation Editor. Basically, Equation Editor is the no-frills version & MathType has more features.

I needed MathType when designing an internet course so I could change the color of equations. In more recent years, there are some symbols that aren't in EE so I bought MathType.

I have not found it to be easier or faster to use. I'd think in that case, LaTex may be better, but I think it has a pretty steep learning curve.

One thing that will help with using EE is to learn the keyboard shortcuts. Do a search in Word's help... I'd set it up so I reassigned the key <Alt> "E" to open an equation. <Ctrl H> does an exponent, <Ctrl F> sets up a fraction.

I'd far rather download something like TeXniccenter and learn that instead -- it's more keyboard friendly, less hunting for buttons and once you get started it takes a LOT less time than equation editor. Furthermore, the version I downloaded had buttons LIKE equation editor if you forgot the command for something -- so you could start with the buttons and gradually learn the commands.