Menu

What are your thoughts about the Magyk series?

Ds 11 (12 next week would like to read it).

Dh has said "No" to Harry Potter so far; I'm undecided about HP, but deferring to dh on this. I think it's more a matter of timing / maturity than a decision not to let him read HP from dh's POV.

It's clear that Magyk has some similar themes - what says the hive?

Ds 11 (12 next week would like to read it).

Dh has said "No" to Harry Potter so far; I'm undecided about HP, but deferring to dh on this. I think it's more a matter of timing / maturity than a decision not to let him read HP from dh's POV.

It's clear that Magyk has some similar themes - what says the hive?

It depends, I suppose, on what you don't approve of in the Harry Potter books. If it's the magic-stuff, then you won't approve of the Magyk series either. We've read all of both series here and they are fairly similiar in terms of action/magic/fantasy.

but draw a line at things like soul retrieval, satanic themes, vampires, ghouls, graveyard spells calling people back from the dead, etc.

I think he needs to be more mature spiritually to integrate those kinds of ideas into a Biblical worldview.

Edited by ELaurie

Is this the Septimus Heap series we're talking about? If so, we love these books. We are hoping there will be more. There is definitely an innoncence to the young protagonists, but there are some dark characters.

I would recommend a pre-read if you're not sure.

Yes, that's the one. It really looks OK to me, but I wanted other opinions before giving it a :thumbup1:.

but draw a line at things like soul retrieval, satanic themes, vampires, ghouls, graveyard spells, etc.

I think he needs to be more mature spiritually to integrate those kinds of ideas into a Biblical worldview.

OK...that helps. The Magyk books are younger but do contain lots of ghosts, ghouls, possession (as in spirits taking over a person's body against their will), bogarts, creepy things, witches (both nice and nasty), dragons, dark creatures, graveyards, spells, skulls, were-creatures....

I can't remember specifically any vampires (though there could have been), but all the other things you mention specifically are there.

They don't bother me much because the world the books are set in is CLEARLY fantasy. If you are considering these books and the things listed above are an issue, definitely pre-read.

OK...that helps. The Magyk books are younger but do contain lots of ghosts, ghouls, possession (as in spirits taking over a person's body against their will), bogarts, creepy things, witches (both nice and nasty), dragons, dark creatures, graveyards, spells, skulls, were-creatures....

I can't remember specifically any vampires (though there could have been), but all the other things you mention specifically are there.

They don't bother me much because the world the books are set in is CLEARLY fantasy. If you are considering these books and the things listed above are an issue, definitely pre-read.