Menu

Hits and misses so far this year....

MamaHappy

Hits:

Exploring Creation with Botany

Wheeler's Spelling (free vintage text that I just found a couple weeks ago-perfect for Ty!)

Spelling Plus (I think we finally found a way to teach spelling to K! He says he doesn't like it, but when he sees an A on his spelling test, he stops complaining)

History Pockets Ancient Egypt (K is enjoying this as long as I help him with the cutting)

Misses:

MM (great program, but not a fit for us due to learning style)

Spelling until I was able to find a program that would work for K (see above for our hit!)

On the fence with WWE. The workbooks were a miss, but the book was a hit. Both boys have been working on copywork, dication, and narration in our other subjects.

We did some major tweaking to some other programs.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So far we don't have any misses this year...

The hits are:

ETC - both the boys LOVE it!

HWT - They both really like this, too! They really enjoy the little sayings that go with each letter. And you should see the DRAMATIC improvement my oldest has made in his handwriting!

SOTW1- We got about a 1/4 of the way through it last year. It is a little over DS5's head, but I'm mostly doing it for DS7 and he says history is his favorite subject now!

RSB - Sometimes I have to spend a little extra time explaining the concepts to DS5, but they both really enjoy using the abacus and I can tell it is building a good strong foundations for them.

OPGTR - for DS5. He is always asking to do phonics. He really enjoys the rhymes!

Chronicles of Narnia - We are using this series for our current read aloud and they LOVE it!

To be determined:

We are waiting for the following to arrive on our doorstep...

FIAR - This is mostly for DS5, but I am sure DS7 will be right in there with us.

RSO E&S - I hope that this ends up being a science curriculum that we 1- like and 2- get done.

MM - I thought this would be good for DS7 to give him a bit more math to work on.

SOTW 2 - For when we finish STOW 1 in Feb/March

I want to throw in Song School Latin, but I haven't got there yet.

Misses:

Athenaze Greek -- Not exactly a miss because DD 13 actually quite liked the text; she just wants to learn Norwegian instead of Greek.

I'm pleased to say, this is no longer a miss! :D After a ten day break from Greek, DD 13 said, "I can't believe I spent all that time learning Greek and I'm not even going to get to read Homer." So we're back at it now and doing Norwegian as well.

I posted in this thread awhile back, but we have a new hit! DD loves the Prairie Primer. We were at a stopping place with our history and science that we were doing, so I decided to go for it. We'd never done a unit study before. We are both having a blast with it. This afternoon we're going to make vinegar pie like Ma made for Christmas in the Big Woods. :D