Menu

Counting an assignment in 2 courses

I have a picky question...My daughter (9th grade) is writing daily for English. When she chooses a topic related to one of her other courses (such as Voice), should I count that paper as part of the grade for both Voice and English, or should I choose between them?

Opinions?

I know that the Essay Writing teacher at our co-op, who also teaches at a local college, actually encourages his students to choose topics for his class that can also be used in one of their other classes, such as Literature or History.

I think that sometimes the bulk of the work (research especially) can be applied to two or more classes, but some of the details of the writing may need to be adjusted for the audience.

From what I've read, this can be considered academic dishonesty at some schools, so be very careful in a college setting.

I'd think doing a similar topic where research can be shared would be safe, but submitting the same paper for two classes isn't good.

I try not to count one thing for two classes. Mine often do things that overlap or are applicable to both, but I choose which I am going to consider work for one and which work for the other class. I figure extra practice or getting to apply something in a different situation is a good thing. Sometimes I consider one part of an assignment part of one class and another part part of the another class. I don't tend to double cover material if it happens to show up in both places. I substitute something more useful. I just try to make sure that mine are doing what I consider a full credit's worth of work if I am claiming a credit's worth on their transcript. They do plenty of things that don't count for anything but learning LOL.

Nan

I have had struggles with this issue also. What I do is divide the time between subjects because I do not feel comfortable with counting the full time for each subject. For example, if my ds is writing and essay on a history topic in English about an issue we're studying in history and he spends 3 hours on it, I would give him credit for 90 minutes of time in each subject area (English and History).

Edited by Book Nut
grammar

he spends 3 hours on it, I would give him credit for 90 minutes of time in each subject area (English and History).

This is what we do.

When my kids were in public school, there was sometimes one project that spanned two classes. Typically it was a History Day project that involved an English research report.

However, they spent the equivalent of BOTH hours per day, and their project encompassed major presentations and graded work in BOTH areas. The teachers worked it out so that maybe the essay would be graded by the English teacher, and the presentation board and oral presentation by the History teacher, or whatever.

So, I like the idea of combining subjects, but I just make sure to count each hour of work towards one credit or the other.

Julie

I am not giving full credit for the one project in both classes. I am giving full credit for one of the classes and maybe 10 possible extra credit points in the other.

Also, I agree with the time spent on the project being divided inbetween the 2 classes, but grade-wise I'm not sure how that would work.

When I was in public high school we had to do a big research paper one year, don't ask me the topic now, because I don't remember, but the teachers for literature and history worked together on this and we received credit in both classes for the same paper.

Each year of high school, we were required to do a Social Studies research paper (10-12 pages) that counted toward both our English and Social Studies grades. The English teacher graded purely on grammar/style/proper formatting and the Social Studies teacher graded on the actual content.