Menu

CHOW

AimeeM

Has anyone used the complete kit from Calvert (book, teaching guide, workbook)?

Thoughts or reviews appreciated. We are doing a one year overview of world history. I do not want anything very intensive as Autumn has a difficult time writing and retaining; so her other subjects (ones that, quite frankly, we feel are more important than history) take a good deal of energy for her. We want something light and enjoyable to EXPOSE her to world history, without overwhelming her.

I like the looks of CHOW, but wanted opinions :o)

Hi, we are using the complete Calvert 4th package, with CHOW. We're only a week in so far. This is our first time homeschooling.

My son really likes CHOW so far. Since he was in public school, he really didn't get any history yet, just "social studies". I like the fact that it is a nice introduction to the timeline of world history, very readable and enjoyable for the kids. The workbook is basically answering questions to outline the chapters. We also got the online version which has additional activities. Then we are also getting videos and additional books from the library to enrich it.

That said, I majored in history and REALLY want him to get a good introduction to world history. I have so many times heard people say they don't like history b/c it's too dry. So we also ordered (and just received) the SOTW set. My idea is to use this as a supplement (a little more in the workbook) and also do many of the art activities.

I think that this is good for this year, it's a lot to cover, then next year he will have a mental "timeline". I think we'll then start more intensive history work.

Hope this helps!

Amy

I'm not using the complete kit, just the book. Here's what we do, since it's light, enjoyable and doesn't require writing on their (7 and 9 yo) part:

0 - I preview the chapters & find clipart on google images. I shrink & print them.

1 - We read ~3 chapters (we do history on Thursday). Narrate orally / discuss.

2 - We color the clipart in and glue them to 1/2 an index card. (I write names/dates quickly on the back of the card. I may start having the kids do this part.)

3 - Using a paperclip, I hook the cards to our timeline (a ribbon attached to the wall with thumbtacks - read that idea here - it works great b/c we are actually using it!).

4 - (In progress) We recite a CC-style timeline of only the events we have covered, just a basic overview. I'm still tweaking though. It was too wordy last week.

I'd love to add in some projects, but, like you, I want to stay light this year. I want them to enjoy history and have a basic idea of what happened in what order.

I also really like CHOW. I have only done the book and not anything else from Calvert, though.

We read through it last year, and my son liked it so much that history has become his favorite subject. I used to read an extra chapter as a reward or special treat. Ha! Reading a history book as a special treat. Whoever heard of that?

We are doing a different world history overview this year, but I am planning to read CHOW again next year because we liked it so much.

Thanks ladies :o) I think we will order the set then.

I love all of your supplementing ideas but I'll be honest - we are going history lite this year. All of her other subjects are so teacher intensive, and require so much planning on my end, that I can't add much to the history end, which is why I'm looking at buying the workbook for the book. Glad to hear good reviews for it all :o)

I did consider it and am still considering it.

I'm just not sure if she would get much out of it. She has auditory processing problems. Although she is dyslexic, she is a visual learner (talk about a double edged sword); she needs to see it (or read it) to retain or understand it.

Have you thought about just reading it? If she enjoys a certain subject just add more library books and discuss orally?