Menu

27 weeks of Co-op, and 40 chapters of SOTW Ancients...

I am teaching SOTW Ancients this year at our co-op for the 5-8 year olds. We only have 50 mins a week for class, so the format will be for the parents to read the chapter during the week, and then we will do the review questions, coloring pages, map work, and activities in class. With this format, I really don't think I can double up chapters (not many anyway)....

I know that this is going to be like heresy, but I need to trim 13 chapters out. What would *you leave out? I am thinking that I will leave out the chapter on Greek Gods. Even though that was one of my kids favorites...it is a Christian Co-op, and I know that some Christians can get a little funny about the different gods at that age, so that will be any easy one to cut out.

Each family will have the SOTW book, and I have bought the loose leaf activity pages for each child, so it will be very easy for the parent to do any skipped chapters at home--if they choose.

We start in a couple of weeks, so I need to get this nail down...

We just started SOTW in our co-op. Not much help, as we take 45 weeks for each book. (We do 30 weeks a year... so 1.5 years a week. I wouldn't trim the Greek gods from Ancient, as they are a major part of history... and knowing the gods made/make for an educated person. Point to knowing gods and myths as a foundation of being able to understand works, such as Shakespeare. That being said, we started with one or two lessons on Creation! ;) So... not less, but more :) I would say... listen to 2 chapters... but only pick on project. So, you could easily listen to 1.5 chapters... over two weeks... or something like this. Or, if everyone has the cds or books... assign the chapter in between? Just some thoughts :)

I chose to leave out some of the ancient Japan and China chapters--I don't know why, as I have nothing against Japan and China! :001_smile:

Just a suggestion--I would leave off on the coloring pages. It takes some kids FOREVER to color. Just send them home. Or, let them color while you read the chapter (but it's my understanding they will be read the chapters at home, right?). Maybe they could color it at home and bring it in to show or something.

And do the Greek gods, please. It's culturally significant. You don't need to do a lot with them, just DO them. Please.