Menu

Southeast Homeschool Expo - Atl?

Has anyone been? I missed our big state convention, and really... it wasn't anything like what it looks like the Southeast Homeschool Expo is going to be. http://www.georgiahomeschool.com/ AND, JW & SWB will be speaking. It is a few hours drive for me and I'm working on convincing a friend that it would be a fun road trip & good experience, but she doesn't seem to have any interest in an expo.

If you were me... what would you do? Go it alone? I have to admit it looks very overwhelming, but I think I could learn a great deal, particularly since I haven't actually started hs. I'm all ears. :bigear:

Guest abeindorf

I actually enjoy this better than the state convention. I have loved the workshops I've been to and even been able to put what I've learned in use in my classroom quickly and easily.

The curriculum fair has just as many vendors. So it is easy to see/question the ones you are looking for.

Maybe it's just the time of year.....my brain is free from last year's ups and downs and I am ready to begin again.

I really enjoy this convention; much more so than the GHEA one, as it offers secular as well as religious curriculum. My favorite part is that there are small, independent vendors as well as large ones, so I have been able to discover quirky curricula, games and ideas for my kid.

There is always a used book store within the convention (in addition to the "book swap"), and the goodie bag at the door is not bad. Be sure to bring a rolling cart, water, and lunch, as the snack bar is overpriced and the food is... convention food.

Saturday morning is always packed beyond recognition. Friday afternoon is usually good. Though, last year, the vendors said Friday afternoon was packed and Saturday afternoon was all open... who knows what will happen with gas the way it is.

If you see it on Friday and you want it - buy it! Vendors run out of stuff at this conference (I don't know why). They'll ship you one once they get home, but if you want it *now* (as in, if you were planning on it), just get it. Toting it around ends up being worth it if it's gone at the end of the day.

asta

I started going 2 or 3 years before I started homeschooling. (I "afterschooled.") It's easy to get to, by Atlanta standards, as it is right off of I-75, quite near the north intersection of 75 and 285. There is plenty of parking, it's in a safe area, and there are a number of hotels in a variety of price ranges nearby. Just plan to spend plenty of time there. Especially if you're attending some of the seminars, it's a two-day event. I agree with the poster who said the onsite food isn't the best, but you can take a pedestrian bridge to Cumberland Mall, where there are other options. You also can get in your car and find plenty of other options up and down Cobb Parkway.

Terri

I was very disappointed!

The first time I went, there were so many vendors it was overwhelming and I attended a few classes, which I really enjoyed.

The last time I went there were hardly any vendors and the ones I did find(the ones I wanted to purchase from) didn't even bring any books! They told me that I had to order them, I could have done that at home!

I attended a couple of classes that year and remember not enjoying them at all..I don't even remember what they were about!!

One minor complaint I have about it is that the "speakers" are all there to sell something. It's just something to keep in mind as you plan which talks you're going to attend. So if you want to go hear the talk on "teaching your child a foreign language", check to see which curriculum the speaker is associated with... It may make a significant difference in whether that talk is actually useful or helpful to you. (And obviously it will depend on the speaker whether their talk is mostly helpful and applicable to parents whether or not they buy whatever the speaker is selling, or whether it's just a 50 minute infomercial.)

I'll be there on Saturday. I'm mostly going because it's a day set aside with friends to shop and pick each other's brains over the coming year. I don't think I'd drive hours to go, but since it's close, it's worth it to me.

Kids are welcome, but it can be an *exhausting* day for them. The vendor hall is loud and chaotic, and even though they do a good job of placing plenty of room between the booths and in the aisles, it can be pretty overwhelming. A few vendors will have something set up for kids to do, and there's often a line around these because the kids are desperate for something to do. I've taken my kids in for an hour or so, but if you're planning to spend the day and really research curriculum, find a way to leave kids home if you possibly can. You'll get more done, and they'll be less miserable.

As others have said, there's almost no food there in the building. There are good options nearby, and there's plenty of parking, so it's worth leaving mid-day to eat elsewhere.

Wear comfortable shoes, and bring a rolling cart for purchases. Trust me on this one. ;)