Menu

Serl's ILL (Intermediate Language Lessons)

2squared

We are enjoying ILL for my dd's 4th grade year. If you have used it and enjoyed it as well, do you have any tips for getting the most out of it?

I am feeling like we will miss a lot of the richness if I try to go too fast, but I also want to make sure we are making enough progress. Did you find that you went throught the lessons rather unevenly? Maybe one lesson took a couple days but another lesson was only a few minutes?

Did you see benefit to doing all the writing or did you still reap the benefits by keeping a lot of it oral?

Any tips appreciated!!

I think this book is meant to be used for two years, so you could slow it down and just spread it out.

Yes, it is a 2 year book, and I am planning on using it for two years. It just seems like some lessons are rather quick - like grammar usage - and some of the writing lessons are/could be multi-day lessons. The grammar lessons could be done in under 5 minutes if we did them completely orally, but then I wonder if I'm missing something by not having my dd write 15ish sentences to distinguish the difference between "taught" and "learn" (as an example). She alreadys know the difference, so I am missing value somehow if I quickly go through that lesson orally?

The lessons just seem deceptively gentle and rich. I am probably overthinking the whole thing, but I am wondering if I am missing the forest for the trees - kinda like it took me a couple years to get the point of WWE.

My oldest is paying for my inexperience, and my youngers are reaping the rewards of my hard knocks.