Menu

Technical drawing as art requirement?

My oldest ds (8th grade) is very mechanically minded and I have dragged him through the ARtistic Pursuits program with him since 1st grade. Currently he is starting the 1st Jr.High book and has taken an extreme dislike to it. I think part of it is moody 13yo syndrome, but I think he would be far more interested and enjoyable doing something like the Create - A Sketch material.

Artistic Pursuits has been good for him as his free-hand sketches are quite good, but he loves doing drawing with straight edges and clean lines. Do you technical drawing could fulfill a high school art requirement (thinking ahead)? He would be much more engaged doing that.

Is there some kind of class or curriculum that would focus on drawing architecture? I knew a guy that drew like that and loved drawing buildings and interesting architecture. Very straight lines, clean curves and a good understanding of perspective.

I would be content to give credit for a drafting course, absolutely. You could build a course around materials from Six Branches (the Complete-a-Sketch people) -- you might need to use their upper level materials, not the basic C-a-S...

Then add in a text of some sort. My first thought would be The Annotated Arch. It's approachable and interesting and wouldn't add a tremendous amount of work so *most* of his credit time could be spent on drawing.