Menu

Let's talk anatomy....

Dd17 is doing Apologia's Adv. Biology (anatomy) this year. I would like to hear from others who use this (or another publisher's anatomy). Tell what you do, do you do all of the experiments, how do you handle the large amount of slides in the experiments that flow into detailed lab reports, how your dc memorize all of the terms. She is more creative/language based, so please be kind about the math/science kids who blaze through a module a week. :) Its taking us longer....

Dd just spent all day working on it. She did four experiments (except for 1/3 of one, the wrong slide was sent), three lab reports, and one several page Power Point (to help categorize and to have a visual to study). And, she read some of her module. There is a lot of memorization and she says she needs to do all the power point to help with that. Its also the first lab reports of the year, so there was some time spent figuring out how she needed to format it.

This is what she is doing: Apologia text, Red Wagon Tutorials (lectures only), labs w/slides, 2 per module of 3 slides each, and lab reports; power points to help her study, quizzes and tests on VHSG and the coloring book starts soon.

How does this sound? I'm hoping its not the bane of our existence this year.... science is such a time hog!!!

That does not resemble our A&P course. :tongue_smilie: We do a few major dissections: brain, eye, kidney, heart, and fetal pig. We also do blood typing. Only a few slides are examined (cardiac tissue, smooth tissue, etc.)

We use Essentials in A&P which has 14 chpts. We don't even do a lab for every chpt. The fetal pig is the summation of the study with the identification of all the major systems, etc. 4 labs for a single chpt seems like overkill. I have never seen Apologia's text, but Essentials is more focused on big systems and function. Lots of labeling of the structures and learning the function of each one, yes, but not that much lab work.

FWIW, there is a lot of memorization involved in A&P. However, my kids have never done a PP, though that is not a bad idea.

Thanks. There are dissections too, the four you mentioned. I am wondering if we should just look at the slides and not write a report for every.single.one. It seems that our text is quite detailed and it is taking dd awhile to digest it. She is complaining a bit, while she will do what it takes to get a good grade, she is not going into a medical field. I was thinking it would be better to be in more "general" knowledge territory, rather than all of these details (???).

PMing about your book in case you don't see this!

Thanks. There are dissections too, the four you mentioned. I am wondering if we should just look at the slides and not write a report for every.single.one. It seems that our text is quite detailed and it is taking dd awhile to digest it. She is complaining a bit, while she will do what it takes to get a good grade, she is not going into a medical field. I was thinking it would be better to be in more "general" knowledge territory, rather than all of these details (???).

PMing about your book in case you don't see this!

http://www.amazon.com/Essentials-Anatomy-Physiology-Valerie-Scanlon/dp/0803610076/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1315605667&sr=8-2

http://www.amazon.com/Student-Workbook-Essentials-Anatomy-Physiology/dp/0803610084/ref=pd_sim_b_1

I don't have an answer key for the textbook but the workbook contains answers and practice tests. I also incorporate TC A&P lectures.