Menu

Back to School & Curriculum Questions

Hi -

We attended our back to school night last night. I have to say I love the teacher so far she is extremely open and really wants to communicate and work with the parents. :hurray:

We wandered through the classroom and were able to look in our child's desk to see what books they are using for the year. So here is my question.. has anyone had any experience with the following?

Language Arts - MacMillan/McGraw-Hill - California Treasures

Spelling - MacMillan/McGraw-Hill - California Treasures

Math - Scott Foresman - California Mathematics

Phonics - Modern Curriculum Press

Social Studies - Forgot the name ..

Science - Scott Foresman

Handwriting - D'Nealian

Is there anything I should watch out for? I am using Phonics Pathways and Singapore Math. I was toying with the idea of adding FLL or WWE but I wasn't sure how much she or I could do :)

However, if there is something that is a red flag I would like to get a jump on it before I am playing catch up.

Thanks!!!

:lurk5:

Nothing stands out to me except "California" after everything. I'm assuming that means the publishing company has created an edition specific to California standards, which could mean anything. At that point, it's kind of hard to rely on the publisher's name because they're a business and California gets what California wants.

You can look at the textbooks, but it's still hard to tell how the information is taught. I'd spend some good time lurking about, I mean volunteering, in the classroom. :D

@BabyBre - I plan on lurking in the classroom. At back to school night they were still setting some of the pull out days so she didn't have the classroom volunteer schedule yet.

I am did volunteer for art at least twice .. that should be fun ;) However, since I work fulltime I prefer to spend my time in the class when I can.

@fairytalemamma - I agree that D'Nealian is clunky. Any suggestions on a better system?