Menu

Spanish for Children, Galore Park Spanish, or something else?

ktgrok

I don't see our FLVS spanish class working out. It takes me helping him for him to really do it, and if I'm going to do that I'll pick my own program. He is 12, so I need something not to babyish. I know enough spanish to help him, and teach him, if I have good materials. I am not a native speaker, so would need audio files/cds/etc for him to hear.

Any preference? I don't want anything super intense, as he has a full plate this year, and is starting pragmatic language therapy twice a week next week on top of everything else we do.

I really do like SYRWTL Spanish (Galore Park). My dd is using level 2 and it is quite challenging, but not too much so. The audio CDs add a lot to the program. There is a good amount of all components of a good (IMO) Spanish program...reading, writing, listening and speaking. If you know Spanish, that is a BIG help as you can converse with your son. I was a Spanish minor and spent time in Spain so I, too, know a bit of Spanish. If you know a native speaker, that is also helpful. We also use Tell Me More Spanish (Auralog) for the speaking component. It is a good reinforcement. Another good and interesting resource I happened upon is Madrigal's Magic Key to Spanish, found on Amazon for about $8 or so. My husband picked up the book one evening and did several chapters on his own and said it was really a good book for learning Spanish! We use it as supplement b/c I want a program strong in grammar as well as using the spoken language. KWIM? HTH a bit.