Menu

All About Reading? Thought? Comments?

momsuz123

Hi,

I have read some great things about All About Spelling. I am wondering about All About Reading for my dd2. She really doesn't look forward to sitting down and reading to me (book of her choice). She finally likes to be read to, so we are making progress. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Sorry so many questions lately - does it show I am new to hs?:tongue_smilie:

We are starting AAR (Pre Level 1) this year and to be honest, I wish I'd either waited until Level 1 was ready or had just gone with Explode the Code.

It looks like it's going to be a great program, but the Pre Level 1 is beneath my son (he'll be six this month) and he's going to get bored early on.

The last time I was at their website, Level 1 wasn't available yet, so I'll probably be ordering ETC sometime this week.

We love :001_wub: AAR. I just posted a thread about it earlier today. I do think it is best used by the 4-5 crowd, and it is absolutely perfect for my 4 y.o. who had difficulty rhyming. The ideal Mom teacher is crafty and not afraid to get silly since I think Ziggy (the handheld puppet) is a key part of getting engagement in the program. I was a drama teacher in a previous life and I love crafts so it is pretty much exactly what I would design. The ideas for Preschool & K can't be beat.

I bought this as soon as it was available for my two dds, who were 4 and 6 at the time. At first it was a huge hit! The LOVED Ziggy and were very eager to do it every day. Some days we were even doing a few lessons at a time because they begged for more. Then we took a summer break and started back at the lowercase p. They were still excited for a few days, until we got to lesson 53 where Part 3 started. Part 3 is the "Sound of Letters" and every page is the exact same. On those pages, there is one letter and 4 pictures at the bottom to cut out. You must choose the correct 3 with that letter sound and glue them on the boxes on that page. They do have a few color by letter pages thrown in that section, but I think they just got bored with Ziggy. They have no problem choosing the correct sounds, but they don't want to cut and glue and they usually love that sort of thing. They've been asking to skip Ziggy now.

I don't regret buying it, they were so excited at first. I'm just not sure if I'll invest in Level 1 whenever it becomes available.

Edited by mom&nana