Menu

I am losing my mind!! Biology!

Ok we are just now getting my son's books together because of some financial difficulties.

I bought Campbell Biology last year. So I went ahead and ordered the Dive Science cd and it is coming in the mail. Now I hear that I should have gotten my son the concepts and connections instead because he won't be able to do the Biology book (that it is to hard for him).

So now what do I do? Should I buy a book to go along with the Dive (I really like the lesson plans and such- a no brainer for me) or buy concepts and connections and do lesson plans and try to return the Dive CD to CBD?

I like the lay-out of Campell but what about the other books that Dive has syallabi for? I DO NOT want apologia.

Abeka? BJU? Someone help me make a decision! :001_huh:

I know that you can use it with just the internet but honestly I and my son would go crazy with that! So I was trying to choose a book from the list. I had my heart set on campbell I guess because I have heard so many good things about it and I like the lay out.

Maybe my question wasn't clear.... Should I find a book on the Dive list and keep Dive (suggestions on which book I would appreciate!)? Or ditch Dive and use Campbell Concepts and connections or another campbell biology text?

I know that you can use it with just the internet but honestly I and my son would go crazy with that! So I was trying to choose a book from the list. I had my heart set on campbell I guess because I have heard so many good things about it and I like the lay out.

Maybe my question wasn't clear.... Should I find a book on the Dive list and keep Dive (suggestions on which book I would appreciate!)? Or ditch Dive and use Campbell Concepts and connections or another campbell biology text?

I made my own schedule using the Singapore Biology Matters text. We've just started but at least for the first week seemed fine. It wasn't super hard to do. I decided to let the DIVE CD drive the program and just cut in the matching chapters in the materials we had. For weeks where I had no text for the topic, then I cut in the internet sources.

So I certainly think with a week's worth of time you could probably make your own schedule using what you already have.

I think the DIVE guy, (Dr. Shorman? spelling?) will create a syllabus for whatever table of contents you send. At least that's what I remember from the website.

I think you may have accidentally done a good thing buying the big Campbell. There is more explanation of concepts, as opposed to just introducing them.There's an old thread wherein a well-qualified mom, (can't remember if she was a bio. instructor) said big Campbell could be less burdensome because material was more fully explained. However, it is a bigger text for a full year for bio majors in college, and you would have to account for that. Maybe ask Dr. S.?

Would not the DIVE course be centered around the DIVE info? It's been awhile since I really looked at the site. I thought the texts supplemented the DIVE lectures and labs, not the other way around?

They do supplement but I don't think I could just just read off the internet and gain anything and I don't think my DS will either. I didn't think about emailing the Dive guy I think I will do that. Thanks!

I think the DIVE guy, (Dr. Shorman? spelling?) will create a syllabus for whatever table of contents you send. At least that's what I remember from the website.

I think you may have accidentally done a good thing buying the big Campbell. There is more explanation of concepts, as opposed to just introducing them.There's an old thread wherein a well-qualified mom, (can't remember if she was a bio. instructor) said big Campbell could be less burdensome because material was more fully explained. However, it is a bigger text for a full year for bio majors in college, and you would have to account for that. Maybe ask Dr. S.?

Would not the DIVE course be centered around the DIVE info? It's been awhile since I really looked at the site. I thought the texts supplemented the DIVE lectures and labs, not the other way around?

We used Campbell Concepts and Connections for DD, just the book with the activity CD. There was really no need for DIVE in addition to that - the book is well written and explains everything.

Sorry, misunderstood