Menu

Frontier Culture Museum

Love, love, LOVE the Frontier Culture Museum. And there's an old-fashioned ice cream drive-up shop thingy that you need to go to. But, I can't remember the name. AND, if you could also go to Blackfriar Theatre and catch a Shakespeare production. They have pay-what-you-will nights on the opening night of their productions. Staunton (pronounced Stan-ton) is a SUPER cute town with great shops and restaurants. I miss being so close!

My daughter graduated from Mary Baldwin College, which is in Staunton. So, we spent a fair amount of time there over the four years.

The Frontier Culture Museum is pretty cool. Well worth the price of admission, I thought.

And I agree with Cindy's suggestions, too. The American Shakespeare Center (which includes a re-creation of the original Blackfriars) is a LOT of fun. My son and I tried to see a show each time we went up there. They try to stick as closely as they can to "original practices," meaning they try to re-create as many of the original Shakespearean circumstances as they can. So, for example, the actors don't get the whole script, just the sides for their characters. And the rehearsal periods are quite short by today's standards. And they don't make costumes for each show, instead letting the actors scrounge for their own stuff in the costume room. They also pretty much always work in repertory.

They offer tours of the theatre, led by the actors, by the way, which are also good.