Menu

SWR - anyone use it just to teach reading?

I am ready to give this program another try but please, I need some encouragement! I have been teaching my dd to read, and she is doing pretty well but still stumbles a lot on harder words. When I get her to slow down and divide the word into syllables she usually gets it. But not all the time.

I like the comprehensiveness of SWR. Has anyone just gone through the program quickly as a review and way to teach reading? I am simply interested in increasing her fluency at this time, I don't wish to focus on spelling.

I would just work on phonogram sounds and the rule cards in your case. There isn't any way to go through it "quickly as a review" b/c it is only spelling words, phonogram cards and rule cards. But, I do think if you would concentrate on daily review of the phonogram and rule cards that would help with reading. That is what I'm continuing this summer with my K'r (well, 1st grader next fall). I did the spelling lists with him this school year, but we will continue reading, phonogram and rule cards. I'm hope that increases his reading level!

is that it teaches children to read by teaching them to spell, so technically, you can't use SWR "just" to teach reading. If you try to go through it quickly, you won't see the same success as you would if you followed the method exactly...which I'm guessing is what you're experiencing now.

There are other products which will teach reading...but then you'll be asking, in a year or so, what to use for spelling, and someone will recommend SWR, and there you go :-)

Why not just stick with SWR and do it the way it needs to be done?:D