Menu

Would Prairie Primer be too much if we are already doing FIAR?

momsuz123

Let me explain. I love our curriculum so far. FIAR is working great. BUT, my second grader is what the ps schools "advanced, and needs to be challenged". I don't feel I am challenging her enough. She is about 2 grades ahead in language arts and I am thinking doing another unit study with her (and letting my more reluctant reading 6 y/o get involved as she is able/wanting to).

What do you all think? We live in Wisconsin and live near Old World Wisconsin which my daughters love the Laura Days!

I just feel I need more than telling her to go read more.

See, I just feel like my older dd (who is only 7 buts reads at about a fourth grade level) is not being "pushed" enough. I feel I am teaching more to the level of a first grader, and not "uping" it to her level. She loves The Little House books, so I was thinking that even doing some of the Prairie Primer with her would be good. But my kids love FIAR too - so do I.

See, I just feel like my older dd (who is only 7 buts reads at about a fourth grade level) is not being "pushed" enough. I feel I am teaching more to the level of a first grader, and not "uping" it to her level. She loves The Little House books, so I was thinking that even doing some of the Prairie Primer with her would be good. But my kids love FIAR too - so do I.

I think it would be better to do one or the other. If you think she needs to be pushed, find some other way to push her, including teaching at her age level (her age level, mind you, not her grade level). Trying to do both PP and FIAR is more likely to push you than her in trying to do it all.

If I understand age level vs grade level - I don't think I should teach her at her age level. Although, I want the content to be age appropriate, she is far beyond only reading picture books. She loves her chapter books, and comprehends them very well. She had to be pulled out of private school because they didn't "challenge" her and she was soooo bored. They tried to challenge her in the ps, and she was better, but still bored. We had her tested and that's is when we were advised to always make sure she is challenged so she doesn't grow bored - hence the question, do I add "some" of PP? Again, maybe I am not understanding what you mean by the whole grade level vs age level.

Thanks.

It would be more work for you, but if you are willing to do it I say give it a try - what do you have to lose? Gear the FIAR to your 1st grader letting the 2nd join in - you could add in a few harder things just for her. Then gear PP to the 2nd grader, letting the 1st grader join in where she wants but not requiring her to do all of the assignments or reading (you can read to her) All of this is if you have time to do all of the planning and teaching and want to do it. I see how it could easily work.

If I understand age level vs grade level - I don't think I should teach her at her age level. Although, I want the content to be age appropriate, she is far beyond only reading picture books. She loves her chapter books, and comprehends them very well. She had to be pulled out of private school because they didn't "challenge" her and she was soooo bored. They tried to challenge her in the ps, and she was better, but still bored. We had her tested and that's is when we were advised to always make sure she is challenged so she doesn't grow bored - hence the question, do I add "some" of PP? Again, maybe I am not understanding what you mean by the whole grade level vs age level.

Thanks.

Probably ignoring age or grade level is best. Just teach her what she's capable of doing. :-)

I just think that it would be better to choose one method or the other and make the most of the one you choose. If you want to challenge her more, add something else completely, like a foreign language, or have her write more, or something like that.