Menu

Good curriculum for learning Latin roots/stems -- 4th grader?

provenance61

This is our first year homeschooling, our 4th grader is not returning to school. We would like to study Latin roots/stems. Not a formal Latin language course, but something which would teach him common Latin roots--would also help with English vocabulary. I've heard of one I think, English from the Roots Up. Can anyone give us thoughts about the most effective/fun?

We are going to use Calvert overall curriculum and supplement with some unit studies and have two mornings each week for HS coops.

Amy

This year I have started Dynamic Literacy's WordBuild. The first two books (Foundations) start with learning the meanings of prefixes and suffixes. The next three books (Elements) teach Greek and Latin word roots. It takes about 15 minutes per day, five days per week. Each book is designed to take one year to complete.

I like the theory of it, and it is pretty easy to implement with the workbook format. I can't give results as we just started, but it may fit the bill for you.

How about Caesar's English or Building Language by Royal Fireworks Press?

They are written in a somewhat conversational style.

http://www.rfwp.com/series/vocabulary-elementary-program-by-michael-clay-thompson

For a 4th grader, I would go with Caesar's English. BL would be far too easy. I'd say it's about a bright 1st grade/average 2nd grade level.

This year I have started Dynamic Literacy's WordBuild. The first two books (Foundations) start with learning the meanings of prefixes and suffixes. The next three books (Elements) teach Greek and Latin word roots. It takes about 15 minutes per day, five days per week. Each book is designed to take one year to complete.

I like the theory of it, and it is pretty easy to implement with the workbook format. I can't give results as we just started, but it may fit the bill for you.

:iagree: