Menu

MCP Phonics

Lori

has anyone used this and can you tell me if you liked it or disliked it and why. Is it easy to use. I have a 2nd grader but I am going to review 1st grade again before we move on. She is still having a hard time with reading.

I am wondering if a different approach would benefit her.

We have used Abeka mostly. I did just start her with ETC books we are going to do that over the summer

has anyone used this and can you tell me if you liked it or disliked it and why. Is it easy to use. I have a 2nd grader but I am going to review 1st grade again before we move on. She is still having a hard time with reading.

I am wondering if a different approach would benefit her.

We have used Abeka mostly. I did just start her with ETC books we are going to do that over the summer

\

I use it in combination with Explode the Code

I postponed using MCP phonics for the earliest stages of reading because it relies more on sight words than I would care to do initially. The other thing that I don't like about it is that it doesn't give enough practice on some digraphs. Sometimes the child only has one day or two days of work on something before they are off to something else and that isn't enough for it to sink in. Explode the Code gives more practice on a single digraph, MCP offers more review and a wider variety of activities so I use them both together.

If you're doing ETC, MCP Plaid Phonics would be overkill. I say this as a total curriculum junkie and someone who has actually used them both.

If you're thinking of switching, it depends on the child. MCP is colorful and thorough in presenting phonics. It follows a different order than ETC in first grade doing CVC, then long vowels, then blends and digraphs but since you're using it for review that won't matter. MCP includes a few little take home readers and ETC doesn't. The most important difference, IMHO, is the visual layout.

we use it. I opted for it at first because it was the same phonics program they used in school so they were familiar with it. They really enjoy it, we are just finishing up level C with the older 2 and then it moves into a word study as opposed to phonics. Of course I am starting the whole series over with ds going into K witht he K level book. I have never had a problem with the fast pace, but I think that is because as ker's I do LOTS of phonics, for example my soon to be Ker has mcp phonics, jolly phonics, and the ready,set, go for the code series. I want phonics to be known inside and out, and did so with the olders too, so the fast pace of the program now isn't a concern at all.