Menu

Kudos to Phonetic Zoo

trishalinn

Hi,

I just wanted to give some kudos to phonetic zoo. I will admit, I was skeptical. I had seen mixed reviews, but decided to try it because of my time limits this year. I have twin newborns and an almost 3 year old that keep me hopping, so I knew I needed to streamline school as much as possible for my young 3rd grader. He is very bright and advanced in reading and math, but has had a very hard time with spelling and writing.

We've been gradually easing our way into schoolwork and this week we added spelling to our schedule. The first day he got 9/15 correct (which I thought was fantastic) and today (day 4) he got all 15 words correct! And for some reason, he now says he LIKES spelling. Not sure how that happened or even if it will last, but I'll take the excitement over spelling for as long as I can. He has even been ASKING to study his spelling words (crazy).

If you were considering trying Phonetic Zoo, I'd encourage you to go for it! I know it isn't for everyone and there have been really mixed reviews on here... but our first week with it has gone WAY better than I ever expected it would.

I am loving AAS this year (for K) since DS5 loves to play with the tiles. But...I am thinking of switching in the next year or two. I can't see spending 15 minute per day per child on spelling. Plus, DS5 is definitely a natural speller. Thanks for the recommendation. This is my top contender because I really don't want to do a spelling workbook.

It's been great for us as well. I'm amazed how well my non-speller has taken to it and how much his spelling has improved. And, he's carrying what he's learning over to his other subjects.

I'm amazed how he's able to retain the jingles.

I love that he can most of it on his own.

It's been a winner at our house.