Menu

suggestions needed for helping an adult

I have been lurking on the boards for a while, but now am in need of some advice. I have a relative (24 yo) that came to me and asked if I could homeschool her. I suggested taking a GED class, but she felt as if she wouldn't be ready for the GED class. I had her take the ACE free diagnostic test on line. She wanted to start at the 6th grade level. She failed every section. I would love to help her meet her goal of being able to pass the placement test at the local community college, but have no idea where I should start. Please share any and all suggestions. TIA.

My suggestion would be to take several companies' placement tests. Also, since she is an adult, you should be able to have several discussions with her about what she likes/dislikes, how she learns best, etc. Would she prefer a workbook (ACE perhaps?), textbooks, real (living books)? Does she need some basic literacy training?

For general knowledge, history, even science... think about videos or books on tape. Shows like NOVA can be an education in themselves for an adult, even if you don't understand it all.

I have an acquaintance who helped her sis in law a few years ago. Mainly, she helped her pick books from the library (her reading skills were good), they watched and discussed documentaries (with popcorn!), and she worked through a Saxon text book... 87, if I remember correctly. Unfortunately, I lost tract of my friend, so I don't know the end of the story.

Emphasize LEARNING the material and don't test over the material. Get some test practice books and use that to prepare for college entrance exams.

I have been lurking on the boards for a while, but now am in need of some advice. I have a relative (24 yo) that came to me and asked if I could homeschool her. I suggested taking a GED class, but she felt as if she wouldn't be ready for the GED class. I had her take the ACE free diagnostic test on line. She wanted to start at the 6th grade level. She failed every section. I would love to help her meet her goal of being able to pass the placement test at the local community college, but have no idea where I should start. Please share any and all suggestions. TIA.

The literacy organization that I worked with said that most people overestimate their literacy and numeracy skills by two years. It sounds like she might be functioning at the fourth grade level. Proliteracy offers both private tutoring and materials for free for adults that enroll and can work with adults who don't even know the alphabet. They also have basic adult education that preps folks for the GED, but I think that because of how state laws work only certain organizations can legally claim that they have a GED course, so they call it "basic education" or something like that. Since ProLiteracy does not accept any government funding they only have to collect minimal data on students, needing only a contact number and name, they also insist on confidentiality and do not discuss or share information about students.

You can contact that organization to get a catalogue of materials which you can order from. Now, you would have to pay if you order, but if she is an enrolled student she would get the materials that her tutor recommends for free. Nonetheless, the materials are specially developed for adults.

I can think of commonly used homeschooling programs that are much better but the problem is that they are designed for children and that's not very motivating for most adults.

I've not been in your situation, but I would *first* check out reading ability--both decoding and comprehension.

A very easy to use resource fairly available in the homeschool world is: At Last! A Reading Method for Every Child by Mary Pecci. (You can google her name--she has a website and forum). Ms. Pecci has successfully used her method of teaching reading (a good one but you wouldn't *need* to use it) with *many* older, disadvantaged adults.

In a nutshell, in one chapter of this book she gives directions for quickly assessing decoding (phonics knowledge) and separately, a quick test on comprehension. Often times with older learners, there are gaps in their knowledge base (ie. they know *some* phonics rules but not all). Ms. Pecci's quick and easy assessment will help pinpoint any holes.

There may very well be other, equally good or better, reading assessments out there; I just happen to be familiar with this one.

Best wishes for success to the both of you!

Also, I concur with the suggestion to incorporate audio books and videos--a lot of information can be assimilated in a short time that way....