Menu

Chalkdust Alg II question...does your child do the "Explaining Concepts" portion

at the end of each secion? What about the Solving Problems section? Obviously my boys will go through the Developing Skills section after each lesson, but they're dismayed about the other two. My leaning right now is to make them do the Solving Problems part but not the Explaining Conceps (indicated by the little pencil and the word "writing" in the text.)

Also...does your student do every single odd number or every other odd number?

Finally...how many times does your student watch each video segment?

Thanks!

Lisa

Yes, our two oldest did both Solving Problems and Explaining Concepts at the end of the sections. These types of problems are very, very important for future science/math majors as most of our children will probably be. I usually have them do only every fourth problem as in the Developing Skills, but pick more if there are only a few or if they have very good ones. I also have them write complete sentences for Explaining Concepts if an explanation is called for.

Developing Skills is important for drill to help the student learn the concepts. SP & EC help the student attain true understanding.

If it helps, you can tell your student that if they can nail the concepts in Algebra II, they will have an easier time in Precalc. Precalc contains quite a bit of review of Alg. II. Then if they can nail Precalc, they will find Calc to be straightforward. Both of our two oldest found Calc easier than Precalc. They didn't believe me when I told them they would, but they really did!

From one "mean" mom to another...

GardenMom

I usually have them do only every fourth problem as in the Developing Skills, but pick more if there are only a few or if they have very good ones. I also have them write complete sentences for Explaining Concepts if an explanation is called for.

GardenMom

Ditto. Too important to pass up.