Menu

Schedule for Guerber/Miller books

I start history with my crew on Tuesday, and I still haven't made up my mind as to what spines to use. We will be covering the Middle Ages, Reformation and Renaissance, and I want to keep them all together in history for the most part, while assigning some extra writing and reading to my 7th grader.

I thought I was all set to use SOTW2 along with the Famous Men books, but for some reason, I am feeling like SOTW2 is not the right fit for my DC. It would include my youngest, but it would not be enough for my two oldest. I have the Dorothy Mills books, which I think are great, but they would just fit my oldest, and not include anyone else. I have MOH2&3, but I don't want to use them either. I am leaning towards the Guerber/Miller books, and I am wondering if anyone has a schedule to use both the Middle Ages and the Renaissance & Reformation books in one year. If not I am going to have to do some quick planning in the next few days.

Sorry .... I have nothing for the Middle Ages & Renaissance/Reformation but I do have a schedule for the History of the Ancient World and the Story of the Greeks (just finishing up this one), if you ever need it. I added in biography pages, mapwork, timeline, projects, books, etc. It's working very well.

I found making my own schedule for the Guerber/Miller books wasn't too difficult: the only work that took awhile was linking up the readers chronologically.

Good luck with your search! :001_smile:

This is not what you asked for, but I thought it might be helpful. My dh reads history books from the library (whatever they have) and specific living books for each topic (listed below). This seems to work well for the variety of ages 7 and 11. The 11 year old has extra books for literature that coordinate for history. Here are the 2 lists with the months allotted to the right: (L and O just are notes to me for library and owned). Hope it helps.

ruth

History: Middle Ages and Early Rennaissance - Read alouds

400-1000 Early Middle ages: Knights and Castles, Feudalism, Vikings Sept, Oct

White Stag (Attila the Hun) L

Beowolf

Castle, City Macaulay L

King Arthur and His Knights, Pyle L

One Thousand and One Nights, McCaughrean L

1000-1400 High Middle ages: Crusades, Holy Roman Empire Byzentine empire, Plague Nov, Dec

Adventures of Robin Hood, Pyle L

Midwife's apprentice B

Adam of the Road, Gray - 13th C england, NE Award L

Shadow of a bull – Bull fighting L

Canturburly tales McCaughrean L

Eastern: China, India, Japan, Africa, Khmer Empire Jan, Feb

Samurai's Tale, Haugaard L

South America Incas, Aztecs, Conquistadors Feb, Mar

Secret of the Andes O

Around the World's Rim O

Early Rennaissance Apr, May, June

Shakespeare Macbeth, Hamlet, A Midsummer Night’s Dream;

Taming of the Shrew; Much Ado About

Master Cronhhill – Plague in 1654, London fire B

Extra books:

Eyewitness: Vikings, Knights, Midevial Life, Castle, Arms and Armor,

For my older student to read independently (for both history and lit, he will not read all of these, I just like to give him a selection. I expect 16 books per year)

400-1000 Early Middle ages: Knights and Castles, Feudalism, Vikings Sept, Oct

Beowulf the Warrior , Sutcliff , L

The story of Rolf and the Viking Bow French , B

Sir Gawain and the Green Knight ,Tolkien B (optional)

Conn Yankee in King Arthur's Court , B

The Once and Future King, White, L (trilogy)

Tales from Arabian Nights Lang, L

1000-1400 High Middle ages: Crusades, Holy Roman Empire Byzantium, Plague Nov, Dec

Ivanho B

Crispin: Cross of Lead, Avi L

Catherine Called Birdy, Cushman L

Mary, bloody Mary Meyer L

Sir Nigel, Doyle G

The White Company, Doyle G

Canturbury Tales, Original, just a few stories, I

Lord of the Rings, Tolkien, G (trilogy) Jan

Eastern China, India, Japan, Africa (Mali), Khmer Empire Jan, Feb

A Single Shard, Park L

Lady of Ch'lao Kuo L diary series

South America Incas, Aztecs, Conquistadors Feb, Mar

Lady of Palenque L diary series

The Left-handed Spirit L

The captive O'Dell L

Early Rennaissance Apr, May, June

Joan of Arc, Twain, B

Black Arrow, Stephenson L

Trumpeter of Krakow L

Dante's divine comedy Chwast (graphic novel), L

Optional by Sutcliff

Outcast- Britain under roman rule, focus on celts and picts

Sutcliff has a series on Arthur

Mark of the horse lord – brtian under roman rul, N tribes

Shining Company – britain, fuedal chiefs, saxons

Blood Fued , Sutcliff , britain, constantinople

Sword Song – vikings

Edited by lewelma

Roxy, I was just writing out the rest of our readings for The Renaissance and Reformation Times book and the scheduled primary sources readings from The Portable Renaissance Reader. I was also taking a closer look at what I want to cover from The Englightenment Reader which is our primary sources book we will draw from next. I don't have the Guerber book, but I could send you a quick break down of the readings I had scheduled for my older dd. They do not follow chapters, as in I don't just have her read a whole chapter at once each week. I think it sets up for 40 weeks of reading, or close to that, and this is fine for us since we school year round. We have been behind this year, from moving a lot, and we are still on track to continue our work in The Renassiance and Reformation Times/Portable Renaissance Reader before moving on so I have doubled up some of her readings into one guide lately. Another words, this is still needing a little attention before I was going to put it up on the blog, but I could give you the quick schedule and it many help a little. Maybe?:001_smile: If not, no worries. Some of the Reading Guides I made for her are already there, and I'm about to type and link the next one. Hmmm, it takes awhile and we're going out of town tomorrow, so maybe next week for that one. I do have others typed, but I would need to load them into Scribd and that will likely change the format some and may need some adjusting. All that to say...:lol: I can give you the readings and I could make a point of linking the first two or three reading guides if this would be helpful. Just let me know...

ETA: I went ahead and linked the first four weeks of the Reading Guide. Just let me know if you want the quick reading schedule and I'll post it here for you.

Edited by Kfamily

Sorry .... I have nothing for the Middle Ages & Renaissance/Reformation but I do have a schedule for the History of the Ancient World and the Story of the Greeks (just finishing up this one), if you ever need it. I added in biography pages, mapwork, timeline, projects, books, etc. It's working very well.

I found making my own schedule for the Guerber/Miller books wasn't too difficult: the only work that took awhile was linking up the readers chronologically.

Good luck with your search! :001_smile:

Thank you, Cleopatra. I know it won't be difficult to do a schedule. I am just crunched for time now that I want to change what I had planned already.

This is not what you asked for, but I thought it might be helpful. My dh reads history books from the library (whatever they have) and specific living books for each topic (listed below). This seems to work well for the variety of ages 7 and 11. The 11 year old has extra books for literature that coordinate for history. Here are the 2 lists with the months allotted to the right: (L and O just are notes to me for library and owned). Hope it helps.

ruth

Thank you, Ruth. I think I have most of the books that are on your list, but a few are new to me. I will have to take a look at them.

Roxy, I was just writing out the rest of our readings for The Renaissance and Reformation Times book and the scheduled primary sources readings from The Portable Renaissance Reader. I was also taking a closer look at what I want to cover from The Englightenment Reader which is our primary sources book we will draw from next. I don't have the Guerber book, but I could send you a quick break down of the readings I had scheduled for my older dd. They do not follow chapters, as in I don't just have her read a whole chapter at once each week. I think it sets up for 40 weeks of reading, or close to that, and this is fine for us since we school year round. We have been behind this year, from moving a lot, and we are still on track to continue our work in The Renassiance and Reformation Times/Portable Renaissance Reader before moving on so I have doubled up some of her readings into one guide lately. Another words, this is still needing a little attention before I was going to put it up on the blog, but I could give you the quick schedule and it many help a little. Maybe?:001_smile: If not, no worries. Some of the Reading Guides I made for her are already there, and I'm about to type and link the next one. Hmmm, it takes awhile and we're going out of town tomorrow, so maybe next week for that one. I do have others typed, but I would need to load them into Scribd and that will likely change the format some and may need some adjusting. All that to say...:lol: I can give you the readings and I could make a point of linking the first two or three reading guides if this would be helpful. Just let me know...

ETA: I went ahead and linked the first four weeks of the Reading Guide. Just let me know if you want the quick reading schedule and I'll post it here for you.

I will go and take a look! Thank you for taking the time to link your Reading Guide. I am totally stressing myself out with this change.

:001_smile:

I would be interested in this schedule! I am debating about adding the Guerber/Miller books to our Ancient Greece studies.

Thanks!

Roxy, I went ahead and typed the reading schedule and linked it on my blog. This can be found under Book Notes under the Renaissance and Reformation Times category. I do have the guides ready for many more weeks, and I'll try to add those in soon.

The schedule is for the following books:

Renaissance and Reformation Times by Dorothy Mills

The Portable Renaissance Reader edited by Ross and McLaughlin

A Treasury of the World's Greatest Speeches edited by Houston Peterson

Edited by Kfamily

Thank you, Chrissy. I do have the TruthQuest guides, but I do find that they are a little hard to schedule into a year. I was just hoping someone else had done this already. By the looks of it, I will probably have to get out my guides and quickly work out a schedule using them.