Menu

Writing with Skill

hollyandab

Some people beta tested it and could tell you more but we are in our third week and it's going very very well. I love that it is more self directed and written to the student. It's teaching her to stop rushing through things and slow down and read to make sure she understands. She's had a few incidents where she was making things much harder on herself without realizing that what she was being instructed to do was really not that hard. Such as trying to write her first outline from scratch and being at a loss as to how to begin. But if she had just read her instructions more carefully, she would have realized that on the next page was space for her to simply write what each paragraph was about and that was all she was being asked to do. I also thought it would be kind of demanding but it's going in baby steps and not pushing her too hard. :)

Some people beta tested it and could tell you more but we are in our third week and it's going very very well. I love that it is more self directed and written to the student. It's teaching her to stop rushing through things and slow down and read to make sure she understands. She's had a few incidents where she was making things much harder on herself without realizing that what she was being instructed to do was really not that hard. Such as trying to write her first outline from scratch and being at a loss as to how to begin. But if she had just read her instructions more carefully, she would have realized that on the next page was space for her to simply write what each paragraph was about and that was all she was being asked to do. I also thought it would be kind of demanding but it's going in baby steps and not pushing her too hard. :)

That's good to hear. Do you think 11 yr old boys could go straight into this without doing WWE? They've had lots of dictation and copywork and some narration work. I was planning on beefing up the narration this semester and then begin WWS next semester. I am also doing MCTLA, but I'm not sure how many of the writing assignments we will be doing. I'm thinking that I may simply read the book and do a few of the assignments, but after that move on to a program that holds my hand more for exact assignments. I was thinking I would use Writing Aids since that goes with TOG, but now I'm leaning towards doing WWS instead... I swear, there are waaaay too many options out there!:tongue_smilie:

Thanks,

Holly

We've just started WWS in the last few weeks but I really like it and I think I may even love it!! It really takes the student through the necessary steps and the teacher's guide is very helpful if they are having any difficulties.

My dd11 even said "I hate to admit it but I kind of like this writing program." Pretty amazing since she's in the 'anything educational is not cool stage.'

ETA - my dd11 has done narration, copywork and some dictation but not WWE and seems to be handling it well.

That's good to hear. Do you think 11 yr old boys could go straight into this without doing WWE? They've had lots of dictation and copywork and some narration work. I was planning on beefing up the narration this semester and then begin WWS next semester. I am also doing MCTLA, but I'm not sure how many of the writing assignments we will be doing. I'm thinking that I may simply read the book and do a few of the assignments, but after that move on to a program that holds my hand more for exact assignments. I was thinking I would use Writing Aids since that goes with TOG, but now I'm leaning towards doing WWS instead... I swear, there are waaaay too many options out there!:tongue_smilie:

Thanks,

Holly

I really couldn't say. You'll have to judge, as you know your child best. You can look through the free sample to get a pretty clear idea of what's expected before you purchase it.