Menu

National Merit endorser question

Kendall

This is related to Ellen's question (Congrats to your son and to all the recently named WTM kids semi-finalists!-my son's notice arrived Sat)

This year the application is submitted online. We are to submit our portion(school and student) to the person we have chosen to write the recommendation. They are called the endorser and they are to submit electronically the final document.

We are not done with our part, but our endorser would like to get started on his letter. What is the exact wording of the instructions for that letter? I can't find it. Do any of you have instructions for past years for the recommendation letter?

I tried to call NM but they are closed until Wednesday morning (hurricane maybe?).

I called today and they are having computer problems (I think they are in Illinois, so no hurricane issues). She couldn't look at the exact wording, but I will call back in a few days. I'll post again with that if anyone is interested. She said that the space is about the same as the space for the student essay. I also learned the following:

The endorser does not see any of the application except for his/her part.

Bass guitar instructor is fine (he has also taught our son other things). They are supposed to recommend them from an academic angle. They also have some checkboxes to complete that regard to character, but the essay has to do with academics. I know with my older son the endorser talked about what kind of learner he is and evidence he had seen of that.

The SAT comparing score is 1960. I didn't ask because my son has scored higher than that, but I think that means any score 1960 and higher rather than needing to be higher than 1960.

My son is very happy not to be taking the SAT again! He was close.

I did a letter of rec. for NM for one of my programming students last year. We just used paper forms, but this is the instructions:

The recommendation is most helpful when it complements other information on the application and highlights ways in which the applicant has excelled both in and out of school, revealing personal characteristics that cannot be gleaned from grades and test scores. Avoid repeating information found elsewhere in this application. Material exceeding the space below cannot be used.

(The "space below" was about half a page) Edited by Joules
Irrelevant stuff

I'm not absolutely sure if this is correct, but once you complete your "School Profile" on the on-line app (I just finished ours Monday), you can then "review" the on-line app and see where it plugged in your "school Profile information" on a PDF format. It displays the entire on-line app (many parts left blank because they have not been completed on line).

The Recommendation portion (A) is on there. I think this is probably the same as the "endorser." If so (?), it says:

"LETTER OF RECOMMENDATION AND CHARACTERIZATION OF THE SEMIFINALIST

The recommendation is most helpful when it complements other information on the application and highlights ways in which the applicant has excelled both

in and out of school, revealing personal characteristics that cannot be gleaned from grades and test scores. Avoid repeating information found elsewhere

in this application. "

"LETTER OF RECOMMENDATION AND CHARACTERIZATION OF THE SEMIFINALIST

The recommendation is most helpful when it complements other information on the application and highlights ways in which the applicant has excelled both

in and out of school, revealing personal characteristics that cannot be gleaned from grades and test scores.

Avoid repeating information found elsewhere

in this application. "

I did a letter of rec for one of my students last year and that was the directions on the form that I had.