Menu

Keystone national high school-anyone taken any courses with them?

I was looking into this for my sons as well, but there doesn't seem to be too many people here who have used it, but I searched the board using "keystone" and got a few hits. I think I remember only one family who had used it, and they said the course was kind of light... lighter than Potter's School, I think she said ? , but their experience was limited to one class.

I'm considering the honors earth science class and a Japanese class, but haven't decided yet. I get suspicious if folks here haven't tried something. That's when I think it must not be worth trying, lol.

Dd hasn't taken any classes with Keystone yet, but we're planning to sign her up for four (English 9, Honors Biology, Geometry, and American Gov't) next school year, her 9th grade year. In order to graduate with a Keystone high school diploma, a student has to have at least one course in each major academic area (the remaining courses can be taken from other sources and then approved by Keystone for inclusion in the transcript), so dd's going to try to qualify for the diploma right off the bat. In addition, Dd will be also take foreign language courses (one online course and two homeschooled courses), and EPGY writing courses.

Why are we considering Keystone? Well, the main reason is that dd wants NCAA eligibility, and Keystone is one of the providers approved by the NCAA. We're treading warily and I'm sure dd's going to miss the freedom of choosing her own curriculum next year, but we're willing to give it a try. We've been told that it's pretty easy to get a homechooled course approved for inclusion in the transcript. We'll find out if this is true, I guess :001_unsure:.

Laura K is right-- there aren't too many people on this board who have used Keystone. The Keystone Yahoo group (KNHS-homeschool) can probably answer many of your questions, though. It's populated by Keystone parents who are seemingly not afraid of speaking honestly about the strengths and weaknesses of the program. The group was started by parents and, as far as I can tell, isn't moderated by Keystone. HTH.

My ds(now in college) took Honors Chemistry, Visual Basic, C++, Honors English 3, Pre-Calculus, and American History. I can't give a review on the computer classes, as I was not involved with those at all. The English class was very good...LOTS of writing. The history was also good...nice book, lots of writing(two 3-5 page research papers) as well as essay tests. The pre-Calc was ok, but we had to buy Chalkdust DVD's to do the actual teaching. The only course that I did not like AT ALL, was the Honors Chemistry class. It was very light and very easy...the only course I was not happy with. If you have any specific questions, let me know.