Menu

lactation tea - making your own?

I would like to make my own lactation tea this time around as I know my milk supply can be a bit wobbly. Does anyone have any recipes, or know what rations of herbs to use to make it? I need to place an order w/Mountain Rose Herbs soon, and I wanted to include the ingredients for the tea in that order. So I know that:

fenugreek

blessed thistle

goat's rue

alfalfa

are all good, but do I need all or them, or just one or two? The premade packets of Mother's Milk tea didn't do anything for me last time, and there is no way I can swallow the amount of pills needed for the fenugreek capsules (I can't swallow pills to save my life, my prenatals are gummy vitamins).

I read the title and instantly thought of tea brewed with breast milk.

I need a nap.

:lol: you know they do that to newly trained obs./ped. doctors over here for a joke.. the nurses on the postnatal wards make their tea and add breastmilk, and then tell them as they're drinking it.

OP - I remember my midwives telling me not to overdo herbal teas when I was breastfeeding and to do my research, as herbs contain drugs which are often as strong as pharmaceutical products. I've just had a quick look around on the internet and I think it would be worth you doing a search, something along the lines of "breastfeeding increase milk herbal tea risk" or similar, as there are a number of herbs which in very small doses are supposed to help with breastmilk production - but larger doses can cause problems for the baby. HTH.

Alright, let me try this again. For infusions I use 10 oz dried herbs to 2.5 cups boiling water.

Here is some info on strictly fenugreek tea. You can try this and see if it works for you. Fenugreek capsules worked for me, so maybe try this first see how it goes. Then maybe mix the herbs later for a better taste.

OP - I remember my midwives telling me not to overdo herbal teas when I was breastfeeding and to do my research, as herbs contain drugs which are often as strong as pharmaceutical products. I've just had a quick look around on the internet and I think it would be worth you doing a search, something along the lines of "breastfeeding increase milk herbal tea risk" or similar, as there are a number of herbs which in very small doses are supposed to help with breastmilk production - but larger doses can cause problems for the baby. HTH.

Thank you...I will do a search on this tonight. :)

I used fennel seeds. 1 tsp of dried seeds for one cup of water.

Did you drink the seeds, or did you just steep them in the water?

Alright, let me try this again. For infusions I use 10 oz dried herbs to 2.5 cups boiling water.

Here is some info on strictly fenugreek tea. You can try this and see if it works for you. Fenugreek capsules worked for me, so maybe try this first see how it goes. Then maybe mix the herbs later for a better taste.

I tried the fenugreek capsules, but b/c of my gag reflex, I know I wasn't taking near as much as needed for them to have an effect. It looks like I can get either the seeds or the powder, so maybe I'll try the powder w/a little bit of warm water. I have no problem smelling like maple syrup. :D