Menu

Fencing for boys...?

My nine year old ds wanted to try fencing this year, so I signed him up to start in September. A week after I signed him up he said he changed his mind. I'd really like him to go ahead and try it out for the experience. His concerns are that he isn't 'fit', it may be too physical or rough, he may get hurt. He is a sensitive guy and cries fairly easily. He does not like rough housing and has been known to puke from too much running about or tickling. I assured him the instructor would be there to keep him safe and that it wasn't wrestling, so no struggling, body contact, flooring type of thing. However I've never seen fencing and I'm wondering if someone could please let us know what to really expect. I'd like to help him feel more comfortable with this. I think he may really like it given the chance. Thanks!

My DS has taken two different beginning level fencing courses, one was through our Parks & Rec dept (but was taught by an instructor from the same fencing center) and the other was at a fencing center. I would not say either course was very strenuous at all, but the one at the fencing center did have them do more jogging, stretching, etc. as warm-up. In the beginning classes there wasn't a lot of "live" fencing, more practicing certain techniques with a partner - all very controlled. They did do a little to keep it fun, they just really aren't ready yet to be let loose with weapons, LOL! I don't think your son has anything to worry about as far as wrestling/body contact/rough stuff, from our limited experience. I can see where the sport is much more strenuous and physical at more advanced levels (some of the tournament fencers were covered in bruises) but in a beginning class, I don't see that happening much. My DS loved it and he may get back into it at some point, if finances and out schedule allows.

Since you already signed him up, does that mean you have already paid for the class? What is the refund policy? Does it differ much if you try at least the first class? If you wouldn't be out all that much money, I would really encourage him to give it a chance. He had some interest in it or he wouldn't have asked in the first place.

Personally, I enjoyed fencing very much. :-) It's sort of like chess, only with your body as well as with your brain; that is, you have to be thinking all the time about where and what your body will be doing next. It isn't the biggest fencer who wins; it's the one who thinks the fastest. :)

And fencing is elegant. Think Anthony Andrews as the Scarlet Pimpernel. Or even Antonio Banderas as Zorro. Or Tyrone Powers.

He will have to get used to people lunging at him with a pointed object. :-)

I think he should try it. It isn't a lifetime commitment or anything.

I'll bet you could find some videos on YouTube that you could watch.

I took fencing in high school. We all had to take a sport, and there were some options that were for the more athletically inclined, and those that were for the less athletically inclined. Fencing was definitely towards the "less" LOL.

It definitely doesn't hurt, unless your opponent is doing it wrong. And if that's the case, he'll get in trouble for it.

There may be some warming up and stretching: we always did. But again, it definitely wasn't strenuous.

It's not like in a pirate movie, where you're all over the place: you stay on a fairly small rectangular mat, just moving back and forward, looking for an opening where you can strike. And it's more of a poke than a strike, really :D Everything is very rules oriented and polite.

I think he should go for it, and he might like it. I was never very good at it, but several of my friends were. A few even competed at national competitions. I would not say that any of them were hugely athletic individuals, to put it nicely.

My son had the opposite problem. He was coming from a football/wrestling background with lots of contact. It's taken him a while to warm up to fencing. He fences sabre, which I believe is the most 'physical' of all three types (epee and foil being the other two). One of those other two is much more based on finesse than power (I get the other two confused, so I'm not sure which is more finesse).

Like the pp said, most of the time is focused on footwork and technique. The will fence for short periods of time. While they are actually fencing, it is a short burst of energy--many of the kids are covered in sweat. And there is actual contact. However, I think given your ds concerns fencing would be one of the better fits as a sport.

My ds has come home w/bruises, but it's nothing like the other sports.And often it's b/c of just one kid who doesn't control his hits.

My son has really come to enjoy the mental aspects of fencing (and he started at the same time he started chess). He loves trying to outsmart his opponents.

HTH,

Laura

Let him watch youtube clips of fencing matches. It'll give you a good "end goal" in mind. But as other posters have said it's a very strategic sport, like physical chess. I fenced epee in college (the more mental of the three weapons) but my coach always told me I should've done sabre because I was so aggressive and didn't have the patience for the mental aspect. :D

There is protective equipment, the fencing outfit takes some of the blow. (not all, especially not for men, women have a breast plate). I never remembered getting physically hurt; bruises, yes, but those were always badges of honor for a well-fought match.

But I can't imagine any coach throwing a new student unprepared into a spar to get hurt. And if he's nervous, I'm sure the coach will understand the need to build up confidence before anything physical. When I started fencing it was a bunch of repetition, lunges and bladework. Ah, this is bringing back good memories. I loved the sport, I wish there was a club locally.

It isn't rough housing, it's a great sport and he should give it another chance!