Menu

Indiana State University high school courses- anyone take these?

My older son did three dual credit correspondence courses with them as a ninth grader. He ended up having the same instructor for two of those (Greek related classes). We loved them! Registering was a breeze; they sent me all the books I needed; the study guides were well written and the assignments were thoughtful and well done; computer assistance was great; the instructor's even called and talked to him, as well as emailing him, etc. It was a great experience!

We still had dial up at the time and a computer I didn't trust, which is why we did it correspondence rather than online. But we were able to access grades, etc. online and he ended up sending some of his assignments via email, as well, at the instructor's suggestion. Our local university proctored for us free of charge! So that was great, as well.

If he were still home, we'd use them again in a heartbeat....

I wanted to get clarification. Do you mean Indiana University? as in scs.indiana.edu? There isn't any difference in cost between residents and non residents for the High school courses I believe, but there is now for the university level courses. I have been using the High School courses since about 1998 for my 2 daughters. I like them very much. The price has doubled in this time, but the quality of service and product is the best. I have spoken to the head counselors and they had Ph D's, and were extremely knowledgeble helpful people. The courses are edited by other people which eliminates typos, but also unclear instructions. When my daughter took classes at the PS I was disappointed in how unclear the instructions are, and difficult to follow. I have found only one typo in 10 years in the Indiana course work. We have done only one online course. My daughter got tired of reading on the computer. You submit the assignments through the special portal. You can redo it as much as you want under save, but once you hit submit, that's that. The grading is very fast through this program also.

I really liked having a spiral bound syllabus (correspondence) that both of us can study, and check off that the entire assignment is finished, its easy to miss part of it as you flip back and forth. This isn't possible for online (I guess if you print the whole thing out) For test reviews, I also liked having the paper copies of all work to review. The kids really benefit from parental oversight--if they get bad grades on the assignments they get VERY discouraged.

Another way is to FAX in the assigments, then you don't have to worry about getting lost in the mail,plus you still have your copy at home. (you must use ink or type however) Some instructors take email also now. They then mail back your lessons with grades. The university courses really are great, we didn't try them until dd was a senior, and is really a nice way to get dual credits. The HS diploma program is great- only 40 credits and fairly straight forward as far as requirements. You will get in to many colleges if you have decent grades through this program! Evidently the program turns out good students. My dd was the first one into USAFA and they popped that onto the website in 2005 if you notice! (I think because of the vision requirements for most of the students makes few slots for those that need glasses) She got her spot because she was an athlete, in addition to everything else.