Menu

"BEST" Short Stories... or any others in the series...

Has anyone used any of these books from Hewitt Homeschooling...

The "BEST" Short Stories... or any of the others in the series? It is a Literature Analysis and Writing program...

http://www.hewitthomeschooling.com/book/bsingle.asp?i=2977

I am looking for some more feedback to the content of these as I cannot seem to find samples anywhere. Also, if you know of where I can view samples, please share! :bigear:

My 5th grader is on the 2nd chapter of Best-Selling Chapters and she's really enjoying it (but she loves to write and there's plenty of writing assignments included). The first chapter was on Character and included part of The Great Gilly Hopkins, and the second chapter is on setting and includes a portion of Hatchet (which she actually didn't like, but again, she likes the writing portion). So far it seems like a worthwhile part of our day, but I'll have more input once we're further into our year. I bought all of mine used on Amazon and got great deals, so it might be worth it to get one just to check it out. Good luck to you!

I did the Best Short Stories book with my older two when they were in 6th, and am going to do it again this year with my younger who will be in 5th.

I thought it was a very nice introduction to literary analysis and elements. We skipped the pre-reading section and the hypothesizing about what the story might be about based on a picture, but otherwise did pretty much everything.

While I liked it, I don't know if I'd want to do more than one book in the series - I think it would get overly repetitive, as I think the assignments follow the same pattern across the series. I liked using the Short Story book because I thought short stories lent themselves well to this format - much better than taking a chapter from a longer work. I also thought the stories for the most part were well chosen.

I did the Best Short Stories book with my older two when they were in 6th, and am going to do it again this year with my younger who will be in 5th.

I thought it was a very nice introduction to literary analysis and elements. We skipped the pre-reading section and the hypothesizing about what the story might be about based on a picture, but otherwise did pretty much everything.

While I liked it, I don't know if I'd want to do more than one book in the series - I think it would get overly repetitive, as I think the assignments follow the same pattern across the series. I liked using the Short Story book because I thought short stories lent themselves well to this format - much better than taking a chapter from a longer work. I also thought the stories for the most part were well chosen.

I was hoping you would weigh in before I did since you tend to provide a bit more balanced assessments.:D If I were to choose one book, I would pick the nonfiction one just because I have a more difficult time thinking of nonfiction works to analyze at this age. Also, I think the Hewitt syllabus calls for working through the five books in two years with one genre at a time, while I prefer to cover all genres each year.

If you are unsure of how to proceed with literary analysis, the Best series can provide you with a framework that you can translate to a certain extent to other works of your choice. When you are ready for some dyi literary analysis, I still recommend picking up some of the K12 Classics for Young Readers. We have volumes 6-8 and my picky reader loves them.