Menu

Help - Too Many Options!

Hi - I am new to the boards but not new to homeschooling. But, I usually have some kids in school and some at home. This year - due to an army move and no good school options - we will all be at home. I feel really overwhelmed with the choices out there for high school. It is getting late in the summer, I am surrounded by unpacked boxes, and my dh wants a schedule. I am not so worried about the younger ones - but mostly my 11th grader and then my 9th grader. I looked into the community college and that might be an option for a course or two. Also maybe some online AP classes. I just don't want to overdue it or underdo it. They both want to go to college and right now have medicine as a career choice. I know that could change. Anything out there so good I shouldn't miss it or so bad I should avoid it? Thanks in advance for any advice.......

Mary

Hi - I am new to the boards but not new to homeschooling. But, I usually have some kids in school and some at home. This year - due to an army move and no good school options - we will all be at home. I feel really overwhelmed with the choices out there for high school. It is getting late in the summer, I am surrounded by unpacked boxes, and my dh wants a schedule. I am not so worried about the younger ones - but mostly my 11th grader and then my 9th grader. I looked into the community college and that might be an option for a course or two. Also maybe some online AP classes. I just don't want to overdue it or underdo it. They both want to go to college and right now have medicine as a career choice. I know that could change. Anything out there so good I shouldn't miss it or so bad I should avoid it? Thanks in advance for any advice.......

Mary

What classes are you trying to plan?

Thank you for your responses. DD age 16 was in school last year. She is a solid student. Her school was a small private school and I was not impressed with the quality of teaching although it had a good reputation. She completed Saxon advanced Math last year - but she does not feel confident to start Calculus when we looked at the test for the community college. She has taken Bio and Chemistry and two years of HS Latin. So, I wanted her to do physics, calculus, English, American History AP, and Latin III, music. It is tough - I think she is a little down in the dumps over the move and leaving friends - we were stationed there for four years.

DD age 14 was home schooled last year for 8th grade and to she did Saxon Geometry. She is very bright and a bit lazy. She is also very social - she took the placement test at the community college and tested into college algebra. So, she wants to do that and Spanish I. This works well as the community college is very close and also has a satellite branch on post here.

I have home schooled high school for my oldest two - but I didn't know as much then, we didn't have high speed internet, we were very rural and I had lots of little ones. Also, my oldest did not have super high academic aspirations - so I didn't feel like I might make some big "mistake." I used the Mother of Divine Grace Curriculum and outsourced Latin and grading of history and English papers.

I am also capable (as is my dh) of teaching most anything but Latin. Well, calculus would be a little rust, but it would probably be good for me. Dh is fluent in Spanish so that is a help with that.

I think my problem is I am somewhat ADD with perfectionistic tendencies.....and that causes me to just get stuck looking for the perfect solution.

Have you looked at something like Kolbe Academy for your highschoolers? It might help narrow things down for you and take some pressure off. They have advisors who can help you place your kids in the right courses and you are free to substitute things if you don't like something they offer.

I used the Mother of Divine Grace Curriculum and outsourced Latin and grading of history and English papers.

Maybe you should use the program you are used to for most of your subjects, and then just spend time researching for one particular subject for each child, choosing a subject that you think could most use tailoring for that child.

Julie