Menu

Spelling or vocab for natural speller?

3Blessings

My husband thinks that spelling isn't necessary for a "natural speller". My two big kids fit this category. I feel like they need to continue to do spelling until . . . .well, I don't know when.

My ds who is 8 is quite a quick learner, doesn't need a lot of review, understands the "rules" of spelling already. He is only 8, however, and maybe needs more time for this? My dd who is 6 is not great with "rules" but is quite visual and has (I think) memorized many words from reading. Since she is only 6 I think that is too early to give up spelling.

My thoughts have been turning towards vocabulary for a challenge (and to satisfy dh). Anyone with experience want to share? I'd love to hear thoughts. THANKS!

I just gave my youngest the placement test for Spelling Power. He did amazingly well. So well, that I decided to not do spelling with him this year and instead we are going to do word roots. I had bought English From the Roots Up last year and it didn't get used. This year, we are doing it.

Anyone with experience want to share? I'd love to hear thoughts. THANKS!

This is our 3rd year homeschooling and we STILL haven't settled on spelling. My 8 yro and 9 yro got together this summer and told me that they are tired of spelling programs and don't want to do them anymore. :confused: OK. So, I downloaded Webster's Speller...and I printed out a list of the 1,000 most frequent words in the English language. Every day, I have them spell a number of words on the word list (and we go over why if they spell something wrong). I have them read thru a segment of Webster's Speller and I quiz them on a dry erase board.

Honestly, their spelling is pretty good! And it was all free. I guess this is OK. It's working.

FWIW, we've used BJU spelling and spelling workout. They said they were just tired of it.

It depends on how natural they are :) At 6 we don't do spelling really so I can't comment on that. At 6 we're still doing Explode the Code, copywork, etc. and basic basic dictation. Any spelling issues are through dictation. BUT with a 9yo.... My now 11yo is a natural speller. I tried to do Spelling Power with him when he was 9. He tested deep into high school/adult level spelling. He almost never has spelled a wrong word. And if he does I show him it's wrong and he never spells it again. I don't do spelling with him. Now if he's just showed a propensity for spelling and it came pretty easily but didn't spell years and years ahead, we'd probably do something like Spelling Power (which I only think works for natural spellers!) for a few years until they got to the point where they could spell just about everything.

I don't believe my ds7 reaches the ranks of natural spellers, but I have him do the following:

While we use copywork and dictations through PLL and WWE, I discuss tougher words and why they are spelled like that. Further, we use Wheeler's Elementary Speller twice a week, and Spelling City (both free resources) to help him remember. Words that are misspelled get corrected right away and written correctly in a list in his little, personal spelling notebook. I have lists from ES and Natural Speller (the book) to go by.

Since we started ES, his spelling has improved. Nothing else beforehand used to make a difference. Could be he's also maturing a bit more.