Menu

xPost: Does anyone have an experience with EE Bonds?

FourOaks

I am looking for someone who may have experience/knowledge regarding the government EE series savings bonds. When these bonds come "due" what can be done with them? We are specifically trying to figure out if there is a way to use them for educational expenses (like dual enrollment class tuition) without having to pay tax.

Does anyone know anything about this, or happen to know who would be the best type of person to speak with about this?

Thanks MUCH!!!

(posting on HS Board also)

Yep, from your link and others I am thinking that we couldn't use them for the dual enrollment tuition (OF COURSE -- that would be too good to be true)!!

Here is the statement I think is the kicker from the link you posted:

"Qualified education expenses do not include expenses for room and board or for courses involving sports, games, or hobbies that are not part of a degree or certificate granting program."

Since a student in a dual enrollment program won't be part of the degree granting program for the university, it would appear that tuition would be excluded.

TOTAL BUMMER. I want to cry.