Menu

Advice needed on readers?

lea1

We are using OPGTR and are around lesson 80 (just finished hard and soft sounds of C, G, buzzzzz sound of S and AI as long A). I believe my two almost six year olds are reading a ways beyond this level though.

Anyway, we have been using Modern Curriculum Press Phonics Practice Readers and have already gone through set 4, which seems to be as high as they go. I'm not sure where to go from here.

Any suggestions for what to use next?

Edited by Lea in OK

I inherited a set of old Abeka readers that my boys like. For oral read aloud work we use the McGuffey readers. I like the older language and archaic style to many of the stories. My kids can't guess and get away with it.

Other options would be to set them small but challenging passages from read-aloud literature. That way they would be reading original work, and not anything that might have been dehydrated or chopped up into small bites for children to consume.

not anything that might have been dehydrated or chopped up into small bites for children to consume.

:lol::lol:

Both of those sound like a good plan to me. We read aloud from scripture daily, so that'll be another place for Monkey to practice, once he gets that far. We're only on #50 in OPGTR (beginning blends), so we're not quite ready for much outside reading yet, though it's so close I can taste it. However, if the way the -nk blends, especially -ink & -ank are any indication, we're going to struggle a bit over changing vowel sounds.

I inherited a set of old Abeka readers that my boys like. For oral read aloud work we use the McGuffey readers. I like the older language and archaic style to many of the stories. My kids can't guess and get away with it.

Other options would be to set them small but challenging passages from read-aloud literature. That way they would be reading original work, and not anything that might have been dehydrated or chopped up into small bites for children to consume.

I have not been a fan of the McGuffey readers but maybe I need to take a second look. I will also go back to my WTM book and see what their suggestions are again. That is where I got the suggestion for the readers we have used up to now.

Thanks for your suggestions!

:lol::lol:

Both of those sound like a good plan to me. We read aloud from scripture daily, so that'll be another place for Monkey to practice, once he gets that far. We're only on #50 in OPGTR (beginning blends), so we're not quite ready for much outside reading yet, though it's so close I can taste it. However, if the way the -nk blends, especially -ink & -ank are any indication, we're going to struggle a bit over changing vowel sounds.

Hang in there. When they get it they seem to just take off like a rocket. It is wonderful to watch.

Our son loved the Dick and Jane books. I don't remember where exactly in OPGTR we were, but it was probably pretty close to 80. They really boosted his confidence and we both learned/realized he could read words even though we hadn't explicitly covered the word in our lessons... the whole reason we're learning phonetics of course! Since then he has been happy to try any level 1 or 2 readers. We have the McGuffey readers too, I just haven't quite figured out how/when to work them in.

Where I think the vintage (look-say) readers are most useful is when the child needs practice. For instance, The Elson primers would be look-say, and one thing they do is to practice the same words over and over again. One selection my boys just finished reading as part of grammar has cat, kittens, dinner, and other words many, many times. This was useful for them, because they know how to decode all of these words. They got such a boost out of being able to "read" because they could fly through these stories. I don't teach reading out of them, but for fluency it can really build confidence.

Sometimes it can be helpful to treat a reading selection as a true lesson that is to be practiced for a few days before it is read aloud as a finished lesson. Challenging work can then be used, with the confidence coming from the mastery by the end of the week.