Menu

Critical Thinking in US History - opinions?

My rising 8th grader will be finishing up Late Ren./Early Modern and (hopefully) getting all the way through Modern Times this year. SWB recommends Critical Thinking in United States History, but in the past I've found Critical Thinking Press resources to be very hit or miss for my kids. Does anyone have any insights to share about CTiUSH?

Thanks much!

Edited by Fiddler

Well I just bought the entire set of the US ones (including teacher guides!) off a trusted friend for a fabulous price. I trust her in the sense that I know they'll be great (she used them), but I'm not sure about the AGE when they're great. Honestly, I think they'd be just as good for high school as for right now (7th/8th). So that might be another thing to consider.

My rising 8th grader will be finishing up Late Ren./Early Modern and (hopefully) getting all the way through Modern Times this year. SWB recommends Critical Thinking in United States History, but in the past I've found Critical Thinking Press resources to be very hit or miss for my kids. Does anyone have any insights to share about CTiUSH?

Thanks much!

I like it and I know what you mean about CTP being hit or miss. I have a rip roaring headache and that's about all I'm capable of saying right now. Here's a really great review and overview though. Thought you might enjoy it.

I tried using it last year with my then 7th grader. I think it's a great program...but it's a pain to understand/figure out. Once you get the hang of it, it's easier to implement. Some of it can be done independently but for the most benefit you really need to be able to discuss the ideas with the student. And as usual with a lot of CTP items, it's written for a classroom setting. I wouldn't use it for someone younger than 7th grade and it might be better to wait til high school. We put it away after a while.