Menu

Another Classical Conversations Question: Cost of Books & Materials.....

The twins are doing Foundations/Essentials (they will be in the 4-6th grade Essentials group)

DD12 is doing Challenge B

We have never done CC before, and we do not have ANY books, resources, supporting publications.

Right now (and I appear to have everything we need), my shopping cart total is approx $725.00 (which does not include the novels dd12 needs for Ch B as we have those on hold at the library).

Experienced CC families, does that sound right? It seems right to me, but I thought I'd ask folks who have done this before.

TIA

There are some resources at the foundations level that you might not need to purchase. What's in the cart?

I found Challenge A to be about the same cost as what I spent on CLE last year so I didn't find it to be a huge leap in cost for the materials. But when I put it together with Foundations materials it was expensive. :svengo: I don't remember the exact amount but anything over $500 will make me think twice at check-out. Fortunately I found the timeline cards used and already laminated so that was helpful.

There are some resources at the foundations level that you might not need to purchase. What's in the cart?

I found Challenge A to be about the same cost as what I spent on CLE last year so I didn't find it to be a huge leap in cost for the materials. But when I put it together with Foundations materials it was expensive. :svengo: I don't remember the exact amount but anything over $500 will make me think twice at check-out. Fortunately I found the timeline cards used and already laminated so that was helpful.

I have stuff like Cycle 3 Memory Cards, Cycle 3 Audio CD, My Body, Spelling Plus, Dictation Resource Book, Cycle 3 Memory Work Resource DVD (NEW), CC Tour Logic DVD, totalling $160. which is $$$.

The VP History Cards are $100 so I know they are $$$ -- but those other items I've mentioned above, are they necessary in your opinion?

TIA --:)

Edited by MariannNOVA

Dump the CD & DVD. You can get the MP3s and a version of the memory resource CD in the online community for $6 per month. I didn't buy the My Body book because it is really meant for the tutors to purchase. I found Spelling Plus Used. It really isn't necessary unless you want to use it for spelling. I don't even know what the tour logic DVD is about. I hope I didn't need it! LOL

So I bought (as instructed by a few friends in CC for about 3 yrs):

C3 Memory Cards (optional, but I'm certain I will use these)

Foundation Guide

2 Tin Whistles

The Science cards for this cycle (optional, I'm wondering if I will actually use them! and 2 of the friends told me not to bother buying them because they don't use them/hadn't even purchased them.)

All the Time Line Cards

and then all the items for Challenge A

DD started Challenge A yesterday. We are already busy with assignments!

Hi Mariann,

I have the CC Essentials guide, the fold-out charts for Essentials, the Foundations guide, the IEW book, tin whistles, the VP Timeline Cards, and the CD(but you can get those off the community if you join that online).

In the back of your Essentials guide, there is a list of the Spelling Plus words and what level they can be used for.

HTH,

Laura in NC

Dump the CD & DVD. You can get the MP3s and a version of the memory resource CD in the online community for $6 per month. I didn't buy the My Body book because it is really meant for the tutors to purchase. I found Spelling Plus Used. It really isn't necessary unless you want to use it for spelling. I don't even know what the tour logic DVD is about. I hope I didn't need it! LOL

So I bought (as instructed by a few friends in CC for about 3 yrs):

C3 Memory Cards (optional, but I'm certain I will use these)

Foundation Guide

2 Tin Whistles

The Science cards for this cycle (optional, I'm wondering if I will actually use them! and 2 of the friends told me not to bother buying them because they don't use them/hadn't even purchased them.)

All the Time Line Cards

and then all the items for Challenge A

DD started Challenge A yesterday. We are already busy with assignments!

Hi Mariann,

I have the CC Essentials guide, the fold-out charts for Essentials, the Foundations guide, the IEW book, tin whistles, the VP Timeline Cards, and the CD(but you can get those off the community if you join that online).

In the back of your Essentials guide, there is a list of the Spelling Plus words and what level they can be used for.

HTH,

Laura in NC

Thank you both so much!:):)