Menu

Has anyone done Apolgia General science with a 6th grader?

WTMindy

I am thinking of starting my dd on the apologia science track a little early. She is a good student. Has anyone done this? What things should I worry about? Can a 4th grader tag along with this?

I did Apologia General Science with my then 6th and 7th grader. He did just fine with it and has done equally well as a 7th grader, with Physical Science this year. My concern now, is doing biology for his 8th grade year. That will leave a life science with lab to do in high school for him. I am thinking that he can do one later in dual enrollment. Right now, I am planning on him doing biology as an 8th grader. It has been easier for me doing one science with both boys. We have a younger sibling as well, who did enjoy the experiements. My boys pretty much did general science on their own, doing the review with me, so I didn't really include her in their science.

Does that help?

Hi, I am going Apologia General Science with my 6th grade dd. She is loving it. I follow the schedule from donnayoung.org or com, (I always get it mixed up ;o)) Anyway, it has been a big hit here. Good luck. Tani

Yeah, we've been doing it with a 6th grader and an advanced 4th grader this year. We didn't get it all done, but both could handle the content just fine. We'll finish it next year, then go on. I have the CD, but found that reading on the computer was too difficult so I printed it out. That worked better. For the study guide notes, I increased the font, and added lines for answers since note keeping on a separate sheet of paper was complicating matters as well. I've done the same for the tests. I'm using the Donna Young schedule for next year. I only wish I'd found it earlier this year.

I did Apologia General Science with my then 6th and 7th grader. He did just fine with it and has done equally well as a 7th grader, with Physical Science this year. My concern now, is doing biology for his 8th grade year. That will leave a life science with lab to do in high school for him. I am thinking that he can do one later in dual enrollment. Right now, I am planning on him doing biology as an 8th grader. It has been easier for me doing one science with both boys. We have a younger sibling as well, who did enjoy the experiements. My boys pretty much did general science on their own, doing the review with me, so I didn't really include her in their science.

Does that help?

Yes, it helps very much. Thanks.

We did Gen. Sci in 6th, Phys. Sci. in 7th and Bio in 8th...then Adv. Bio, Chem, Adv. Chem and ds will finish up with Physics in his senior year. I think Gen Science is certainly doable for a 6th grader. I don't know that *I* would attempt it with a 4th grader, but that's just me!