Menu

Suggestions anyone?

mommy25

Can anyone give me any ideas/helps/guides to doing a topical study of history? I have used curriculums in the past that cover so many things in one year that my dd doesn't really understand any one thing very well. She has requested to do a topical study, such as a war or something, and go deep with it. She is entering 7th grade.

Thanks in advance for any input! :)

A couple of things you could use as the base for various units...

An American Plague: the true and terrifying story of the yellow fever epidemic of 1793

together with Fever 1793 (historical fiction on the same topic...

(Jim Murphy has several other books on single historical topics for middle grade kids. Well-written and interesting, good starting points for further study.)

Sugar Changed the World: A Story of Magic, Spice, Slavery, Freedom, and Science follows the development of the sugar trade through many years and how it touches on various aspects of history in the last ~300 years.

The Victorian Internet covers communications advances in the 19th and early 20th centuries...

Each of these brings in elements of scientific advancement, politics, culture, and shows how each is tied in with all of the others. Obviously if you wanted to do a complete study, you'd branch out beyond these, but I think you could begin with any of them and go from there.

Does she have a specific topic in mind? Perhaps I could suggest other titles...

Don't know if this will help you but here is how we have done history in the past. First I decide what time period we want to study. Then I make a list of all the important topics in that time period in order. We start with the first one and pull in any resources that we can use. I allow them to stay on that topic as long as they like. we spent 13 weeks on the Colonial time period! However, they can tell you anything you want to know about those days. I also like Homeschool In The Woods as a resource because it focuses on shorter time periods.

Don't know if this will help you but here is how we have done history in the past. First I decide what time period we want to study. Then I make a list of all the important topics in that time period in order. We start with the first one and pull in any resources that we can use. I allow them to stay on that topic as long as they like. we spent 13 weeks on the Colonial time period! However, they can tell you anything you want to know about those days. I also like Homeschool In The Woods as a resource because it focuses on shorter time periods.

Thanks! Yes, this helps a lot. :)