Menu

Former Calvert Users

Is there anyone out there who used Calvert, then left them for reasons other than money.

I am finding it SO easy to use I feel almost guilty. I am dreaming about coming back next year ( for 7th) to ALL, WWS, HO, MCT,Jacobs (et cetera)

But right now, Calvert seems very much " good enough" , but is it REALLY?

So, I'd love to hear from folks who USED Calvert for at least a year or at least a semester , and then found they had missed something. Or used it and regretted it later.

OR folks who used it for years and are so happy they did.

Any takers?

~c.

Edited by christine in al
other side of coin

As a second grader, my oldest daughter used Calvert's third grade curriculum and finished the whole package in less than three months, including all the writing assignments. Ugh. It was a huge waste of money. She never went back to Calvert. It was way too light for her.

On the other hand, my younger daughter used Calvert's 6th grade successfully a couple of years ago. It was a good fit for her at the time, because she struggles with ADD and would get sidetracked easily. She needs to know exactly how much she has left to do to be "done" with schoolwork for the day, and Calvert was great for that. It also helped me to know that she was meeting at least a minimum standard for 6th grade work. My oldest was always so far ahead that my frame of reference was skewed, and I wasn't sure what to expect of a 6th grader. Calvert was a good fit for that year, for that kid. However, she found it VERY dry, and was bored out of her mind with it. We moved on to other things for 7th grade.

I think it will definately be good for this year, especially with knowing when the school day is over. ds isn't staying on task very well, so it will hopefully give frame work for those skills.

anyother voices are most welcome.

I kow I don't know enough to decide yet, but would like to know what to look for.

Was ATS helpful? We are using it to remove some of the charge from my grading his work. I am very curious to see how they respond to a child's work.

thanks again.

~c.

Loved Calvert initially during our early homeschooling years, to sort of get my feet wet when it comes to homeschooling.

I found that I did not need it much after that.

Found it to be a bit dry and dull.

I prefer to have more control and say in the resources we use - living books, WTM approach, etc.

We never used ATS.

We still use their Math and like it, although we use other math programs as well.

I just signed ds up for 4th grade Calvert with ATS after careful research:D Overall, the curricula seems thorough from what I can tell but I will have to get back to you after we have used it for a while;) I am hoping to use it as a spine and to keep us on track so to speak. I also hope to supplement it as well:tongue_smilie: The other option I carefully considered was Kolbe Academy which still calls me as well as all of SWB's materials which I hope to use:tongue_smilie:.

;)

I am liking the externalization of responsibility. I love that check list that my ds knows _ I _ didn't make. I was hearing some " I hate CALVERT " today,, then he said, " this is really rigourous , I'm covering alot"

So , I do like that I'm the ally , not the evil asignment maker.

Thanks y'all.

I am STILL looking at ALL, and WWS. and Jacobs, next year,

~christine in al

;)

I am liking the externalization of responsibility. I love that check list that my ds knows _ I _ didn't make. I was hearing some " I hate CALVERT " today,, then he said, " this is really rigourous , I'm covering alot"

So , I do like that I'm the ally , not the evil asignment maker.

Thanks y'all.

I am STILL looking at ALL, and WWS. and Jacobs, next year,

~christine in al

I also like that there is another person to be responsible too;) I can always say your teacher assigned it:D Plus it gives him the sense of a school that he belongs too as well. I see these as pluses:)