Menu

How is this selection

mom31257

for a book club of 3rd-5th graders? We're going to read the books at home, get together to discuss the book, then watch the movie and discuss the differences. We'll do these about every 6 weeks but take longer offduring the holidays.

Where the Red Fern Grows

Toby Tyler

A Little Princess

Swiss Family Robinson

Secret Garden

I need some advice, if anyone can help me. The group of moms told me they want books that are easier to read, so the kids can read them on their own, not as a read aloud. They are trying to encourage their kids to read more on their own and be able to discuss it on their own.

I guess I'm thinking books like The Borrowers or Because of Winn Dixie. Can anyone else suggest some good, easier fiction, that's been made into a good movie?

Thanks!

Our co-op is doing a book club for 5th/6th grade. We aren't doing any real tear jerkers (e.g. Where the Red Fern Grows) mostly because my kids are pretty sensitive to that, so I figure we can wait a few years for that. I think that Swiss Family Robinson might be a bit difficult for the 3rd - 5th grade range. We are going to use SWB's 5th grade approach to discussing the books.

We are reading Little Lord Fauntleroy and there is a movie for that -- but that is the same author as Little Princess and Secret Garden. You might look at Pinocchio and see how that looks for the reading level. My kids read that last year (4th grade). Indian in the Cupboard has a movie and my stepson loved that book -- not sure about the movie. We all liked the Caddie Woodlawn book a lot but the movie might be difficult to obtain -- Netflix has it but with date available unknown.

Stuart Little is another one and of course Charlotte's Web. The Charlotte's Web cartoon was great but I couldn't stand the Stuart Little movie. Of course Harry Potter is another -- although some may object to that. You could always do Little House on the Prairie and watch a couple of the episodes.

Hope this helps -- I will try and think of some others.

Two thoughts - first, I think Nim's Island would be PERFECT as both the movie and book are good, but different. It's also a recent book, which your original list didn't have (I'm an advocate for having a nice mix of new and old books on any reading list or book club). Plus, she's homeschooled!

I thought Because of Winn-Dixie would be a good choice too (though I haven't seen the film). The book has so many good meaty things to talk about.

Also, The Borrowers! Please do The Borrowers and then go see the new Studio Ghibli film Arrietty which comes out soon! The current release date is mid-February so you could time it to go together. It's supposed to be AMAZING.