Menu

What math would you select for an extremely spatial yet visually distracted ds

rafiki

I was going to say MUS because of the visually distracting factor--no distractions there. It's neat and clean and simple to look at. And spatially, using the blocks and overlays to "see" each concept when learning it is great for my spatial child. Are you using the manipulatives? Are you letting him watch the video and then work through it again after watching?

I'll say this, a lot of kids get to those middle school years and just don't like math for a while. There is a lull between elementary school and high school where it's just not as much fun because you have to slog through some concepts before you can get to the more exciting courses in high school. I thought using MUS helped with this somewhat, however, because it wasn't a spiral approach so it wasn't the same old set of topics that they had done every year again and again.

I'll also add that we find MUS to be plenty of math on its own. Do you think you're having him work from too many different resources? They all teach things differently. I would think learning from three different books would drive me up the wall! And imho it would be overkill. Pick one source that you can trust and keep math simple for a while and see if it helps. 20-30 minutes a day for math at that age is plenty.

Maybe you could do the lesson on the white board (from any of those curricula)? That wouldn't be an independent method, but it's an alternative. I don't know if this would work for you, but where the MM pages are too busy for ds, I print out worksheets from the worksheet maker for practice problems - they are very plain.

Sometimes I want to take a curriculum (say, MM, which I otherwise like a whole lot) and reformat it for my own purposes - with a slightly bigger font, and oodles of white space, maybe at the expense of some of the pie pictures in the fraction section, for example. I wish she'd sell a special "2E version" :lol:. Sort of short and sweet. Honestly if I knew how to do it, I would, because I have multiple kids using it who could benefit from some simple adjustments. I might need to look at the fancier version of Adobe that dh has...:D

That looks similar to Singapore. Now I wonder if maybe the Intensive Practice books wouldn't work for him better than the Singapore Text/Workbooks. The samples of it make it seem less cartoony? Hmmm. Are the solutions in the Intensive Practice Books? Can they stand alone?

At least at the lower levels MEP has a great variety and keeps things interesting--that is--if you use the teacher pages.

The font is another hurdle here. As dyslexics, we much prefer comic sans. So it would be wonderful to request a certain number of problems per page and change the font.

You probably already know this, but just in case, you know you can do this using the worksheet maker, right? No comic sans, but there's Arial, Courier, Courier New, Helvetica, sans serif, Times New Roman, and Verdana, and you can choose the point-size (14, 16, 18, 24, 36), as well as how much space in between problems, how many per page, etc. Here's one of the fraction ones. just in case :)

I made this one up (not sure if the link will work this way) with 2 columns, 3 rows (6 problems total), in sans serif 18 point, with "cell buffering" of 70 (whatever that is, LOL, though I assume it's the space between problems). Play around a bit - you might find a format that might work.